What do you all think about the segregation going on on some campuses

A different viewpoint at the link

The Black Kids At the Table: Understanding Self-Segregation | The Stripes (princeton.edu)

Is there not a space for individual communities within the broader one? It is entirely possible to be a part of multiple social circles, one that is made up members of one’s own race, and others that are not. The existence of cultural organizations or spaces set aside for minorities does not demand isolation of its members. If we put this in the context of Princeton as an example, it is obviously possible for one to be an active and involved member of Princeton Latinos y Amigos and still have the opportunity to interact with people of a different heritage through classes, clubs, and residential colleges. Whether or not one wants a homogenous social circle is an individual choice–so the existence of an all-black dorm, or an organization specifically for Hispanic people cannot be blamed for these decisions. These spaces provide us with that option, give us the ability to have that choice. And I for one, value it.

The two boys were sitting at their own table in the multicultural center. They don’t go plop down and interrupt a conversation between the Nubian Queen and the Mayan princess.

Whose space was invaded? Whose presence offended whose?

Segregation is segregation. Imagine if the roles were reversed.

1 Like

Read the entire article

Watch the video.

I watched it when it was new, I remember it just fine. It’s not representative of the entire idea/movement

The young men were intentionally being provocative. The young women gave the men the reaction they wanted.

The women would have been way smarter had they rationally explained how they felt.

This also debunks the liberal notion that ethnic diversity is some sort of ideal paradigm that will make everything better and everyone happier.

3 Likes

Ya they need to quit talking about all the problems with segregation in housing and bussing definitely needs abolishing. It’s as if the worst of the worst far right has taken over campus these are the exact type of policies they would start implementing to divide people based on skin color.

This is what happens when you go full woke retarded you regress backwards and become the very thing you say you oppose.

Look at the headlines at the USA Today it looks like something from the onion yet it’s real :man_facepalming:

1 Like

My personal decision would have been to remain seated and continue studying.

1 Like

I read your article, it’s an opinion piece that says the segregation going on is bad. Though it does make a good point as to why it’s happening.

That’s sounding more and more like the sort of thing we’re hearing on college campuses, where each group is told that others can’t understand its thinking because of its unique experiences, requiring its own safe space.

It’s true to an extent. Every culture has its own unique experience. When kids go to college, they also want to hang out with people of their own culture. It’s nothing nefarious, people want places where they can hang out with folks they can relate with.

The Black Kids At the Table: Understanding Self-Segregation | The Stripes (princeton.edu)

1 Like

Where do you get that?

You know where that comes from?

So now you’re speaking for them?

1 Like

I understand some people who are not white wanting to be with people of their same culture (because of familiarity) but I still think segregation is wrong.

It was wrong during the 60’s and it’s wrong now.

1 Like

I mean, everyone but another girl and me on our prayer team are Black. Very outgoing and friendly, which can be issue for me at times because I’m pretty reserved and don’t want to come off as cold or unfriendly. One of them is originally from Africa but then moved to England and then went to school here.

There is a robust AA population at my school. They don’t segregate, and they are some of the best people I know.

Again, I understand people wanting to go where things are familiar- especially if they are an international student. However, I think this only destroys relationships in the long term because of the possibility of group think, and you’re not getting to know people who you might otherwise click with.

I know there are some all-Black soroities- i.e. Alpha Kappa Alpha.

Speaking of international students, how would one weigh the cons of segregation against the potential risks of culture shock? Would it be worth it, at least at the beginning?

According to you, they were seated in a “multicultural area” and they had “police lives matter” stickers on their laptops.

Neither of which I think is wrong but it was likely to irk some of the denizens of the safe zone.