What distinguishes Black Americans who have attained success to those who have not?

Who was that, Paul Krugman?

That’s the thing about Economics … if you don’t like what one economists says, ask another. :wink:

Those aren’t the only places its happening, I can assure you. Those are the only places being talked about at the moment though.

Here is why:

Factory jobs have declined in number & housing prices have risen in the northeastern U S in particular.

What distinguishes Black Americans who have attained success to those who have not?

1. If they got married, what does their spouse think of them?
  2. If they had children, how are they doing in the world and do they love their parents?
  3. How many people in this world would say they love them?
  4. How large is their bank account and what percent of their income have they quietly donated to others?

having a bit of first hand experience, I can say without hesitation there is more overt racism in the north.

You want why? I can tell you. Many blacks have left the ■■■■ hole urban disasters of the north so their kids can have a better life. They do it to get their kids away from the gang banging culture thats killing their families. Charlotte is one of the destinations they go. Trust me on this one :wink:

Here’s one example:

Attitude towards minority Americans in the northeast tends to be noses in the air about southeastern racists being more out in the open, but really more NIMBY—not in my backyard:

And this story took place in the mid 20th Century, not the Civil War era on which many white liberals seem fixated.

Zoning laws designed to exclude largely black Americans started in southern cities, but didn’t end there:

Racism in the northeast is really more if what I call triple S: snide, sneaky and subtle— which makes it far more dangerous than some idiot in a southern city ranting about various minorities out in the open, where the rest of us can choose to avoid him.

You’re leaving out the western migrations.

They have had 150 years to leave the south. The factory closings are only over the last 40-50 years.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with Alex’s theory nor my response.

They left the south seeking jobs in the north and found racism in the north to be every bit as bad as anywhere else.

Until the WWII era, even a couple of decades beyond the south was economically destroyed due to reconstruction.

Their parents and the neighborhood they grew up in. Kids born into single parent, uneducated crime ridden, drug infested neighborhoods are screwed from day one. They have no hope. People born in the burbs have all the opportunity they need.

1 Like

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it over and over and over again. 1) Who your parents are and HOW you are raised. The neighborhood issue can be overcome (see the Ben Carson story), although I do agree that it does make things more difficult.

I am pretty sure a moving van or even a car and some cardboard boxes can easily fix the parents being “stuck” in bad neighborhood problem.

Lol… this is a very complex topic and I’m not sure I want to divulge everything I think, cause I know where I am. In a nutshell:

Black American live under a power structure they created, but had no participation in forming. Far more of us than many realize aspire and work to uplift ourselves, but on the same coin, that comes with the power structure that’s already in place. Those that are willing to comply will fare much better than those that break path and try to pioneer a way for the common black man and woman. There are historical examples… the latter have been demonized…

There’s a lot of truth to this and worse, their culture reinforces this blaming everyone but the parents.

2 Likes

Well that’s just pure crap. Blacks have had a huge influence on our political system for more than half a century now.

It requires the mothers primarily making the decision to get out and get away from the gutter culture of the inner cities.

More importantly tough to not have a child unless married and not living in poverty.

1 Like

Exactly how is it complex? It’s a simple question. Let me give you an example from my family. I have two cousins (same parents). One graduated from high school then went to school to learn a trade and is doing well (middle class) for himself. The other got involved in drugs, was in and out of rehab, and died in his late 30’s. Are you implying that would not be the same if they were black?