What distinguishes Black Americans who have attained success to those who have not?

where did i say that?

those are the ones in the news.

upon reflection, i can see where the question comes from, my posting has been less than precise. too quick to answer

Please use the quote function. I don’t know what you’re referring to.

Poverty. Pick two states.

I am.

And some stayed and some didn’t.

My request was made before your subsequent posts in which you did so.

As an aside, why is this thread in 2nd Amendment instead of politics?

1 Like

The successful ones went north where there were better economic opportunities and less racism.

thats funny

1 Like

i could have been more precise. appologies. i edited to be more clear

There is not less racism in the north. There is different racism in the North.

So we can discuss better economic opportunities if you wish, but you linked it to a myth already. Annnnd you’re going to have to get into time periods. Are there more economic opportunities in Detroit or Raleigh now?

And you’re going to have to explain the return and the current poverty in the north.

Dallas, Atlanta, Louisville, Phoenix, La Mesa

Marginally. Thank you for the edit.

Provocative phrases are generally not conducive to rational responses and are therefore of extremely limited value in debate.

okay, so, 2 or 3 out of 11 in the news are from southern states. 2 or three from western states, and 6 from northern states.

but racism is more prevalent in the south?

Yet some of the more vocal blacks – even on this board – say it’s because of slavery and institutional racism starting hundreds of years ago.

I just stopped.

It’s not a racism problem, it is a law/police culture problem.

Are there some racist cops doing it? Of course. Are the vast majority of cops doing the kinds of things that lead up to these situations? In my opinion yes.

Do I have any trouble believing Chauvin would have done the exact same thing to a white citizen? Not at all. He would have done it to me.

2 Likes

I think it’s a summation of 100 factors, and pointing to any one factor is not going to change things for blacks.

People who see their preferred factor as the primary one (and especially who shout down other factors) are inadvertently propagating the problems (plural) because it won’t lead to the dialogue that is required to draw in addresses to the multitude of factors.

Good post. I heard an economist say a couple of days ago he thinks the come back is going to be a little slow because people are in saving mode and have been since the recession.

Silver lining?

1 Like

Good post. The problem I see is slavery/Jim Crow blurs the vision of everything else. And neither one of those was the fault of the black nation.

1 Like

we are 100% in agreement.

in the police culture there are way too many cops who once they put on the badge believe every utterance out of their mouths is a lawful order and that they are the law. judge dredd wannabes.

for instance… if you’re minding your own business and doing nothing wrong, what gives a cop the idea he can approach you and ask you anything? why is the first question when you’re pulled over usually “where are you going?” or, “where are you coming from?” What business is it of theirs?

The first or at most 2nd question is ID so they can fish on the computer.

Cameras are changing it.

No, they don’t know the law and especially don’t know it in a bigger context.

Authoritarian High Modernism.

It’s not their fault, it’s how they are graded.

wasn’t counting that because its usually not a question. my experience “asking for your ID” has consisted of them saying “ID”

which IMO they also have no ■■■■■■■ authority to do (unless a crime has been committed and they have sufficient cause to question you).