What about the American Farmers?

Free trade hell, free trade would require either no tariffs of reciprocal tariffs and open markets none of which we’ve ever had with China.

It doesn’t really seem like anyone’s read the “bill” which is basically meaningless anyway since it’s a non-binding resolution, super aspirational.

But it does include this:

• working with farmers “to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions … as much as is technologically feasible” (while supporting family farms and promoting “universal access to healthy food”);

There’s a lot of low information fear mongering out there.

We had a deal in place that would have killed tariffs in the majority of Pacific Rim countries in order to pen China in.

How much more effective would this trade war be if the US could call on the economic power of multiple countries?

But no… the 11th dimensional checkers player killed that deal… for what reason again?

2 Likes

Yep which is exactly why i was asking for a quote. The bill isnt putting a gun to the head of farmers

Low information fear mongering?

Ya don’t say.

1 Like

This is a direct quote taken from the draft resolution she put up on her website.

eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from the manufacturing, agricultural and other industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country;

I read that to mean vertical farming in high density population areas.

Who is China most reliant on?

Who are we most reliant on?

It is like we have symbiotic economic interests or something.

Cool.

1 Like

The US can live without China. China starves without the US and their economy craters. Then you have a billion screaming, starving Chinese very unhappy with their gov’t.

We have the leverage and it’s long past time we used it.

What the hell?

She says we’re going to have to eliminate all carbon emissions from agriculture period.

We couldn’t feed a quarter of our own population with such restrictions.

It appears you’re going off an old version.

Not in 10 years, at all costs.

That is where I disagree.

Both countries have become reliant on each other for economic stability.

The Chinese economy isn’t nearly as backwards as people try to make it out to be. There is some aspect that it is built partially on a house of cards, but they are able to source food and resources that are not of US origin just like we are able to source goods that are not Chinese in origin

Everyone just has to pay more for that.

How much better would this whole trade war be for us if the US had at its disposal 10 other countries to use as a bludgeon?

2 Likes

eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from the manufacturing, agricultural and other industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country;

That’s the program and that’s the timeline she laid out.

Not anymore.

That doesnt say at all costs amd farmers will be forced to in 10 years. Find a new sentence to cherry pick. See dantes post

Right, she started backpedaling as soon as it blew up in her face.

I agree.

Which is why this whole thing is going no where.

I still think that the “local scale agricultural” is a reference to urban farming.