We Have to do SOMETHING about Gun Violence! (Even if it's Wrong)

No it isn’t. Guns don’t kill people…People kill people. You MUST have heard this before.

:broken_heart:

I know some people speak about schools being liberal and I work at a college where most of my peers are Democrats. However, 99.9999% of all teachers never bring politics in the classroom. Look at them as a huge group of student advocates. Schools is the perfect place to start checking for early signs of issues. It’s imperfect but under the realm of ‘what can be done’, something resembling this could be implemented.

To be honest I don’t own a gun and I don’t care about AK-47s or what they do with them but it’s not gonna stop mass shootings. The vast majority of the gun murders are from handguns. The guy from Virginia tech was able to kill 33 people on college campus with the a 22 caliber handgun. You’re putting a Band-Aid on a compound fracture.

1 Like

It’s neither bragging nor weird.

The response you dislike is saying “I don’t shoot up Walmarts. Why should I surrender my guns?”

99.9% of people who will be impacted by gun bans will never shoot up anything but coke cans. And the people who are destined to shoot up a Walmart aren’t going to surrender theirs. The thread title is spot-on regarding the effectiveness of SOMETHING that people are calling for in response to the shootings.

But we already have background checks. The firearms I’ve bought all required background checks. I guess there are some alleged loopholes, but did either shooter have his weapon as a result of such loopholes?

I guess this would be SOMETHING to do. But it would be more symbolic than concrete.

Since we’re throwing out ideas, here’s something everyone can do to help prevent fatherless children who go on to shoot up crowds:

Don’t bump your nasties together if you’re not ready to settle down and raise a kid for the next 26 years.

3 Likes

I have heard a lot of Republicans, including D Trump, speak about mental health. Here is a suggestion: a prerequisite of purchasing a firearm should be passing a mandatory mental health check.

1 Like

Lol sure. And how long would it be until wanting to own a firearm was considered a sign of mental illness?

Obviously nothing can be done to help those who have been killed in the last two incidents. However, if you remove the loopholes then there is a potential to prevent such incidents in the future.

It seems to me that one of the ways used to deflect from a change is the suggestion that if it doesn’t fit the current incident then it should not be considered.

I am very sorry that you have such little regard for mental health professionals.

We could do the same for voting? How about right before a woman gets to decide to have an abortion?

1 Like

Nope…nothing to be done. It’s too late. It’s firmly part of our culture. Might as well tell most Americans to stop being christians.

Ban all guns, and the sociopath will make a pressure-cooker bomb like the Boston Marathon bombers. Or a truck bomb like Oklahoma City. Or just plow a car or truck into crowds like so many examples around the world (where, often, guns are already outlawed.)

The proposals people are pushing address very specific things that have nothing to do with the root of the matter. Even “red flag” laws and mental health concerns don’t address the core problem.

2 Likes

Abortions have nothing whatsoever to do with gun violence. I repeat, abortions have nothing to do with gun violence.

However, it is my understanding that Planned Parenthood does provide counselling services for women who are considering an abortion.

And guns let them kill faster and in greater quantities.

1 Like

No they won’t.

1 Like

As far as I am concerned it is nothing more nor less than a red herring. Neither Australia nor New Zealand have banned all guns.

He will get the death penalty.

Yeah, 'cause that’s the problem!

1 Like

Weird, we ban drugs like heroin and AFAIK, heroin has never shot itself up into someone’s veins and made them overdose.