Water Shortages: The greatest Threat to America?

For starters…we can move food production closer to where the water is at…you know the red states near Mississippi instead of paying em not to plant so they can prop up California agricultural industry…what a ■■■■■■■ concept that would be.

5 Likes

Yep…they’re blaming what been natural developing over 10’s of thousands years on white man.

Didn’t realize what man had that much power for so long.

3 Likes

Actually I think thats where it ultimately go. The area just cant handle the load. This is one of the main reasons there is so much pressure on the border. Droughts/Climate change is causing massive out-migration from areas that are challenged.

And soon I believe there will be tons of people leaving the drought stricken areas in the West to move to areas of the country with more water,

1 Like

Ironically, it was climate change that destroyed Egyptian supremacy in the region. When the first dynasty ruled, the Sahara was very wet and very green, plentiful in all things sustenance.

By the time Cleopatra lost sovereignty, it was a dry, brown wasteland of corruption.

Maybe they burned too much olive oil in their lamps. :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

For most of human history, people have lived within a surprisingly narrow range of temperatures, in the places where the climate supported abundant food production. But as the planet warms, that band is suddenly shifting north.

According to a pathbreaking recent study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the planet could see a greater temperature increase in the next 50 years than it did in the last 6,000 years combined. By 2070, the kind of extremely hot zones, like in the Sahara, that now cover less than 1 percent of the earth’s land surface could cover nearly a fifth of the land, potentially placing one of every three people alive outside the climate niche where humans have thrived for thousands of years. Many will dig in, suffering through heat, hunger and political chaos, but others will be forced to move on.

1 Like

The climate has shifted wildly in both directions since our Genesis. We’re still here.

Out of the other dozen or so species of humans that were around when we came to be, we’re the only ones left.

Sapiens thrive in all climates and temperatures, from the scorching desert to the permafrost arctic.

Be thankful that we exist in the most stable period of climate on record. It won’t last, and it’s not because of us.

1 Like

I have been thinking it, and you said it.:+1:

Absolutely. I harbor a special disdain for Vegas.

Although credit where it is due, Vegas is on the cutting edge of water recycling.

This frustrates me to no end.

2 Likes

And the pipelines carrying all that clean beautiful infinite water to the nation can run alongside all the pipelines we already have. The network is already mostly in place.

Or grow rice fields in deserts. Or nut trees that take huge amounts of water.

1 Like

More simple than even that.

The stupid ■■■■ tards that insist on having GRASS LAWNS in a ■■■■■■■ desert. And golf courses in a desert.

There are two easy bans to enact that will cut a substantial amount of water use immediately.

3 Likes

That’s another one. We should outlaw almond growing in California unless and until we don’t have water shortages anymore.

I understand that will collapse the industry, but I don’t care.

Yup, there’s another one. Domestic lawns in particular drive me up the wall.

What happens in Vegas, uhhhhhh, requires a lot of water.

1 Like

I had forgotten about this:

While I am a strong supporter of property rights, there are ■■■■■■■ limits to everything. I believe grass lawns in a desert climate are such an extravagant waste of precious resources, that a government may rightly ban them for the public good.

If a person is hellbent on having a lawn, move to Kentucky and enjoy the bluegrass. :smile:

Get rid of golf courses.

Lawns are stupid. All they do is cost money and labor. Food Forests are badass and feed people.

For real. That we cannot get behind solving our water problem is what makes me think the country is in real trouble. Not the protests, not Trump, not the partisan divide.

Just the simple inability to identify a problem, and devise a plan to solve it with a long term solution. It’s no way to run a country

2 Likes

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

We don’t have a water supply problem, we have a water distribution problem. Which makes the solution obvious, water pipelines and aqueducts.

2 Likes