Water Shortages: The greatest Threat to America?

The increasing lack of water in the West is having dire effects on numerous states including Utah, Nevada, California, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Climate change and population pressures have led to shrinking water supplies that are affecting agriculture, fisheries, hydroelectric power production as well as residential water supplies. What do you do about a problem that has no great solutions?

"Shrunk reservoirs. Depleted aquifers. Low rivers. Raging wildfires. It’s no secret that the Western U.S. is in a severe drought. New research published Monday shows just how extreme the situation has become.

The Western U.S. and northern Mexico are experiencing their driest period in at least 1,200 years, according to the new study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change."

People talk about civil wars due to social issues.

If there is ever another civil war in this country, it will be over water rights.

6 Likes

I think the best thing we could do is flood America with the rest of the world’s poverty and problems so that these existing problems become more magnified and worsens the situation for existing Americans.

8 Likes

It’s going to be a huge issue going forward.

I think California and Texas will have to consider nuclear desalination plants. They both have the benefit of being on salt water (the gulf for Texas and the Pacific for California).

The issue is the start up and operating costs. It’s expensive. That said, we could get advice from the Saudis. They rely on desalination more than any other country in the world with thirty years of experience relying on it.

5 Likes

Oh, it’s Fear 'O Clock already!?

4 Likes

Maybe people should stop moving to the desert by the millions.

7 Likes

So a sane President would close the border.

Perhaps the poor souls from the tropical regions of Central America will realize they have been fooled and return to where the water is.

Instead we have…

Let’s Go Brandon!!

3 Likes

LA basin is a desert and a big chunk of those illegal migrants end up there.

Lake Mead is disappearing.

1 Like

Yes, take water from the mississippi watershed that floods every year and pipe it to lake powell.

It’s the kind of thing dems in the 1930’s would do and China would do today…

1 Like

This is at the core of it. That area simply can’t handle the population load, especially with climate change causing immense long lasting mega-droughts.

Conservatives would say just stop immigration- legal and illegal - and there is some truth to that. But the reality is that even without immigration there are over a hundred million folks in the area dependent on shrinking reservoirs, lakes and water tables.

Things are gonna get hella tight.

I’ve always said that Phoenix, Arizona is the greatest middle finger ever thrown against nature. Followed very closely by New Orleans.

Those two cities are an affront to natural living conditions for humans. A monument to our hubris as a species. We think we have conquered nature. But we really haven’t and never will.

I doubt either city will be inhabited in a hundred years.

5 Likes

With dishonorable mentions to Tucson and Las Vegas.

5 Likes

As previously suggested, a dedicated, nuclear-powered desalination plant on every coast in every coastal state. Boom. Problem solved. Water for the whole damn country. All aquifers “saved” (there’s more water inside the Earth’s crust and mantle than there ever will be in the oceans).

Hell, we’ve been cloud seeding since the early 40’s. It can rain wherever we want, whenever we want. We got in “trouble” for using it as a weapon to flood the Ho Chi Minh Trail (Operation Popeye).

In the Mid-Eazy, they cloud seed daily to cool off the local population. It’s used for VANITY for crying out loud!

But, FEEEEEAAAAARRRR because a puddle of water might run out! :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

We haven’t, and we likely won’t in time, but we could, if only we didn’t lack the wisdom of the Greeks and the patience of the Chinese.

3 Likes

Well that was too ■■■■■■■ easy of solution…crazy man.

3 Likes

I agree, there are solutions. The question is, are we smart enough to employ them? (Based on our inability to agree on anything, I’m leaning toward “probably not.”)

2 Likes

“We” are. The bigger question is, why aren’t “we”?

I don’t accept incompetence. Contrary to popular layman belief, incompetent people don’t run multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporations that literally control our most basic survival needs (well, people on public water anyway).

The solutions are decades, almost a century old technology. This BS about aquifers in danger, or “mega droughts” is just that, B ■■■■■■■ S.

3 Likes

Does it really matter if those states start running out of water? People will move out of the desert if it hurts economically. Aside from farmers who actually have a reason to be in the southwest, everyone else should reconsider their lifestyle.

10 thousand years ago Nevada had vast amount of water…it started drying up long before white man had arrived.

Global warming? Climate change? What caused that change…answer man made it dried up.

Nice try libs…many of us knew it was drying up and man didn’t caused it. We just used whatever water was available at the time.

So stop your lying, stop your BS and face reality. We have greedy people that’s trying to profit off what is naturally occurring.

Enjoy…and maybe just maybe you will learn something about history of west.

4 Likes

Easy, tried-and-true solutions all over the place, but cLiMaTe ChAnGe!1!