Watch: Are We In The End Times and How Can We Tell?

Do you consider also the words of Paul and if so, is Paul referencing a future event or a past one?

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we that are alive, that are left unto the [b]coming of the Lord, shall in no wise precede them that are fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first; 17 then we that are alive, that are left, shall together with them be caught up in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore [c]comfort one another with these words.

The evidence is that Paul in this passage is applying the end of the Old Covenant world of Israel in the first century, not the end of the world, or the end of the Christian age.

Scripture never speaks about the end of time. It never addresses the end of the Christian Age. God promised Mary, through the angel that He would give Him the throne of His Father David, and of His Kingdom there will be no end." Luke 1:32

Peter said on the day of Pentecost, that Jesus was On the Throne of David as promised. Acts 2.

The Hebrews writer said that the Saints living then in the first century were in the process of receiving the Kingdom. That the Kingdom was unshakable - indestructible. Daniel said that the Kingdom of Jesus would never pass away - never be destroyed.

Paul says that the Age of the New Covenant of Christ is an age without end. Ephesians 3. The age of Moses and the Law was to end, and the age of Messiah and the New Covenant was to be eternal. Matt 24

Jesus was the second Adam. 1 Cor 15 Adam was the first Adam. God sent Jesus to reverse what was done by the first man Adam. Paul said Christ was the first to be raised from the dead. Other people had been raised from physical death, the death from which Christ was the first raised was not physical death. Death - separation from God - Spiritual alienation from God. This was what Jesus accomplished with his resurrection. He reconciled mankind back to God.

Paul’s mission was to bring the Gentiles and the Jews into one Body in Christ. He accomplished his mission. The focus of the passage was not about removing man from the earth, it was about restoration of fellowship between God and mankind. God didn’t didn’t have to destroy the earth, end time and remove man from the earth to restore fellowship to man. Christ accomplished that.

The Revelation shows us what that life in the New Creation of Christ looks like Rev 21. God dwelling with man.

You are ignoring the vast amount of prophecy that do refer to the coming kingdom. If you are a preterist, when were the events Jesus specifically mentioned in Matthew 24 fulfilled?

Isaiah 13:10 “For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light; the sun will be dark at its rising and the moon will not shed its light. 11 I will punish the world for its evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, and lay low the haughtiness of the ruthless. 12 I will make men more rare than fine gold, and mankind than the gold of Ophir. 13 Therefore I will make the heavens tremble, and the earth will be shaken out of its place, at the wrath of the LORD of hosts in the day of his fierce anger. 14 And like a hunted gazelle, or like sheep with none to gather them, every man will turn to his own people, and every man will flee to his own land. 15 Whoever is found will be thrust through, and whoever is caught will fall by the sword. 16 Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished. 17 Behold, I am stirring up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver and do not delight in gold.”

Isaiah said this some 750 years before Jesus spoke those words in Matthew.

Welcome to the world of apocalyptic prophecy.

Do you normally just sit and make demands or is it just a religion forum thing?

“…and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds…”

In the Old Covenant Scripture, the figurative phrase “coming on the clouds” was used symbolic as in the picture of God coming in judgment of Egypt, “riding on a swift cloud” - Isaiah 19.

And when God came in judgment on Nineveh in Nahum, with the clouds being the dust under His feet. And as David said in the Psalms “He makes the clouds His chariot.”

And there was the “cloud” on the mercy seat on top of the ark of the covenant, that symbolized the “presence of God.”

When you take the time to study and reason things out, the answers are glaringly obvious.

“Like Father like Son. On Clouds of Glory.”

Yes, Jesus quoted from Isaiah and other books. That does not negate prophecy.

You seem to believe that all Biblical prophecy has been fulfilled already, which would indicate you are a preterist. Since Jesus spoke of some very specific events that were yet in his future, when were these events fulfilled as predicted?

When Jesus ascended, he went up visibly in a cloud. He was very clear that as he departed, so he would return in like manner. IOW, very visible. In power and glory. There will be no mistaking what is happening, he will be coming back with a Heavenly host.

Yet again, he gave a pretty good picture of the state of the world just prior to his return. Where do you believe we are prophetically speaking, and what scripture supports your belief?

Jesus was not quoting Isaiah. "Coming on the clouds’ was used to symbolize God’s presence in judgment on His enemies… God coming in judgment of Egypt, “riding on a swift cloud” and when He came in judgment on Nineveh.

Jesus didn’t say this:

15 Whoever is found will be thrust through, and whoever is caught will fall by the sword. 16 Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished. 17 Behold, I am stirring up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver and do not delight in gold.”

Like Father, like Son.

“this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as you have seen him go into heaven.” Acts 1:11

If “in like manner” means "in exactly the same way, how does Jesus come from heaven riding a white horse?

How does the Lord come with “ten thousands of His saints?”

How does Jesus come “as lightning comes out of the east, and shines even unto the west?”

How does Jesus come “with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God?”

How does He come ''in flaming fire?"

Do you allow for any imagery?

You seem bent on taking offense when none is intended. I was responding to Smyrnas questions about end time events, not trying to start a controversial thread We seem to share a lot of beliefs which you evidently don’t. That’s fine and I don’t mind controversy. I will always be glad to share what I believe and back it up with scripture. Yes, I actually do understand imagery and also that I can’t prove my beliefs on prophecy, especially since it all hasn’t happened yet…

I’ve asked several times if you are a preterist, not as any kind of insult but because eschatology is a big interest of mine and I like to understand why different people/ denomination believe what they do, which is pretty much what Smyrna was asking.

For the record, I actually DO and HAVE actually read and studied my Bible in accordance with the Lord’s will. But so have many many people throughout history and STILL there is great divergence of beliefs on what it says and means…

I probably got the idea when you asked a bunch of questions in that one post and remarked that I hadn’t mentioned other passages about the kingdom, when I was trying to answer your post in parts instead of all in one.

You are the one who labeled me as a Preterist before. I don’t like labels. I don’t hang labels on myself or onto others. I try to treat others as children of God, no more and no less. IMO, we don’t have to agree on everything. Discussions are profitable.

I believe what Jesus and His Apostles taught. The writer of Romans 10 asked, – “Have they not heard?” He answers his own question. “Indeed they have for their voice has gone out to all the earth and their words to the ends of the world.”

The Apostles taught the history of redemption.

Bible history is not about this universe. It is about redemptive history. The writers do not speak of the end of time or the end of the universe. They do speak figuratively when speaking of:

Governments
Rulers
Kingdoms

They speak of:

The end
The completion
The perfection

…of God’s redemptive plan.

Bible history ends with the completion of redemptive history.

We have been redeemed. That’s the good news the Apostles preached. And, that good new is still traveling to the ends of the world and back.

Is this statement true? That hadn’t happened yet, did it?

Those are the Apostle Paul’s exact words.

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ. 18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have; for "Their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world."

The Apostle Pul said the they had heard. That’s past tense.

Yes. He was speaking of The Law in that sense, not Jesus. Jesus is going forward, without erasing any history. It’s the going forward we’re discussing…all the way to just before His return. Do you believe in the second coming of Christ?

Paul didn’t preach the law. Jews didn’t preach the law of Moses, it was only for the Jews. Paul was speaking about the Apostles preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jesus had sent them to preach the gospel to the Jewish nations.

Mark 16:14 Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they sat at table; and he upbraided them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation.

Paul said the gospel had been preached to the ends of the world when he wrote Romans. They preached to the Jewish world. It was eight years before the Gentiles were included.

The writers didn’t mention that a 5’ 6" Jewish man in a flesh and blood body would return. God’s Son returned. He came in the “likeness” of His Father. No one has seen God, likewise no one has seen the Son of God. He came in the Power and Glory of the Father.

Matthew 16:27 "For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels…’

Matthew 16:28 “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.” Woooohooooo! LOL

He came bringing salvation…

Like Father, Like Son, On clouds of Glory.

Interesting reading this exchange, the Rapture people vs the person who may have Praeterist leanings. As Catholic, I agree with the idea that the end times came when the Old Covenant was totally destroyed, and the New Covenant completely established. The predictions of Jesus coming was fulfilled in the destruction of the Old Covenant. I agree that Jesus’ predictions in Matthew 24 was primarily fulfilled in the 1st century. To try to read Revelation as only fulfilled 2000 years later makes no sense to me. Like Jesus predictions only applied 2000 years means they had no application until now doesn’t make sense to me. However, I still believe that Jesus will come again, the second coming, but not trying to read every event nowadays back to Revelation and Matthew 24. Even though I will say it is primarily fulfilled in the first century, it doesn’t mean there is no fulfillment in the future as well. Scripture has immediate & future fulfillments. There were things in the OT where there was a fulfillment in this event here that applied to the people at that time, but ultimately had a fulfillment in Christ. That is my thought but definitely interesting seeing the different perspectives on this. .

We may be but every generation for 2000 years was convinced they were living in “The End Times” as well.

God tells us no one knows when the end will come until it begins, I’ll wait till then to worry about it.