Was World War II "mainly peaceful"?

The number of combat deaths in World War II 291,557 combat deaths. There were roughly 10 million persons in US armed forces for 3 years of war. That works out to a little under 1000 deaths per 100000 per year.

The Seattle CHAZ/CHOP autonomous had death rate that is roughly 10 times higher during its few weeks of life, yet the media has been labeling Antifa and its allies as “mainly peaceful protestors”. Here are the figures from another thread.

Was World War II mainly peaceful?

Or has the Antifa-lead violence been more of a war than a protest?

I’ll play along…How many of those service members were in combat vs support roles? How many served state side?

how many Europeans died in WWII

Are you ■■■■■■■ joking? At least seventy million people died in WW2.

3 Likes

There is an old saying: “War is long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.”

That is true even for soldiers on the front lines. Does that mean war is “mainly peaceful”?

Hell the German-Russian conflict would have been the most horrific war in history if it hadn’t taken place inside of World War 2

You didn’t answer my question…

Yeah but if the Antifa zone thing were open for many years I’m sure the same number if not more would be killed.

If you extrapolate like you did CHAZ the homicide rate in Pearl Harbor was 47,000 per 100,000

1 Like

This is ridiculous. Did you just seriously compare World War 2 with what happened in Seattle?

Think about that for a second.

1 Like

For a better comparison you’d do well to compute the casualties against the forces deployed to WW2 theaters of action for each player.

Add the fact that Russia did all the hard work against the Wehrmacht.

The United States got the advantage of facing only the depleted shell of the former Wehrmacht.

There’s more to identifying peaceful vs non-peaceful than deaths. There are many ways a situation can be non-peaceful without being fatal.

And what is “peaceful”? If things are momentarily non-violent but there’s a looming threat of violence, which was pretty much all of WWII, is that peaceful?

And by that measure, if CHAZ, even with with periods of non-violence, is under constant threat of police taking back the area, then both WWII and CHAZ weren’t completely non-peaceful.

Though you did said:

Ignoring the fact that Antifa wasn’t involved with CHAZ and assuming by the above you mean the people occupying CHAZ, I read this as you using the actions of the occupiers as your measuring stick for whether or not it was peaceful.

So really you shouldn’t count deaths caused by murderers who are not at the zone as occupiers or there to participate in the protests. Without knowing who the murderers were and their motives, this is impossible to calculate.

From what I have read, the violence has been at the hands of some far left and far right groups.
But since the POTUS and AG are saying that it is only Antifa that is what is believed by Trump supporters.
I’m not saying that some Antifa supporters have not been involved. But there is a lack of evidence that they alone are responsible.
My Dad fought in the South Pacific in WWII. And from his stories it was anything but peaceful.

This thread reminds me of the slaves didn’t have it so bad in the south threads. Both trying to manipulate history to make an obscure point.

5 Likes

Untrue.

Many of the German soldiers the US faced were battle hardened Wehrmacht and SS veterans rotated out of the East to the Western Front. The battle of Normandy, June thru August, was as intense as anything in the East.

1 Like

They had some vicious battles.

But not nearly the battle they would have to face had the Russians not worn down the Wermacht.

The United States lost about 407,300 worldwide during WWII.

Russia lost, at a minimum, 8,668,000, mostly against Germany.

Without the Russians absorbing so much loss and inflicting so much loss on the Germans, I estimate our military losses at a minimum would have exceeded 4 million in Europe alone.

Yes, we fought fierce battles and lost lots of men, but only a fraction of what we might have lost.

1 Like

The local Antifa gun club was patrolling the infamous autonomous zone as security:

Two teenagers were killed in the zone in the few weeks it was in existance:

The Portland mayor had complained about federal agents protecting the federal courthouse and marched with Antifa. The violence has continued even though the federal agents have left. Now the mayor is saying the recent arson at the local police station amounted to attempted murder:

When you commit arson with an accelerant in an attempt to burn down a building that is occupied by people who you have intentionally trapped inside, you are not demonstrating, you are attempting to commit murder," Wheeler said in a news conference with Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell.

“Don’t think for a moment that you are if you are participating in this activity, you are not being a prop for the reelection campaign of Donald Trump — because you absolutely are,” he said. "You are creating the B-roll film that will be used in ads nationally to help Donald Trump during this campaign. If you don’t want to be part of that, then don’t show up.”

Is attempted murder compatible with “mainly peaceful protests”?

9 of every 10 German soldiers killed in World War II were killed by Russians.

There were hardened Wehrmacht soldiers in Normandy.

There were also many conscripted units of Poles, Romanians, etc

Now- one of the reasons the Russians killed so many Germans is on the Eastern Front, neither side offered any quarter.

One of the many reasons that as the war drew to a close, Germans fled westward to surrender to the Americans.

The Americans gave the surrendered Germans chocolate and cigarettes.

The Russians gave them bullets.

Fake news. While they are anti-fascist (aren’t we all?) and left wing, they don’t refer to themselves as Antifa.

And they were killed by the “mostly peaceful protesters”?

Did you just move the goal posts into another state?