Was World War II "mainly peaceful"?

75% of Wehrmacht casualties inflicted by the red army, I think. They carried a heavy load.

Were lynchings “mainly peaceful”? Frequently a “peaceful” crowd of thousands came to watch the hanging of one man. Here is one example from a post card:

Is burning a police station a similar event?

Yepp.

Most Wehrmacht divisions in the west were composite units. There were the battle hardened units in each division and they mixed NCOs with Eastern Front service alongside new conscripts to help with on the job training.

The SS units were the cream of the crop. The Wehrmacht units in the west varied greatly in quality but the Germans did a decent job building composite divisions.

Our eastern front experience was in the Pacific. While the battles were much smaller, they were just as ferocious and horrific. IJA and US Marine/Army units did not take prisoners in most cases.

1 Like

Mostly civilians.

Democrats and their supporters in the media have been denying the Antifa violence wherever it has occurred.

As far as Seattle, here is a description of the boarded up buildings in downtown from Cliff Mass, a professor in atmospheric science at local university. NPR canceled his weather segments because he bluntly pointed out the results of violence and lack of police presence:

What didn’t I see on my two-hour walk? Not a single police officer. Not one police car.

A boarded up central core of a major U.S. city was being left to the homeless, drug dealers, and security guards. Even the most notorious, crime-ridden corner of the city had no police. The streets of the city had become a fearful abandoned place.

This is correct.

This has nothing to do with Antifa or CHAZ.

Here is just one example of the “mainly peaceful protests” in Seattle that resulted in arson and bombings. The local police declared a riot and arrested 45.

To minimize what the US faced in Europe in WWII is false.

It wasn’t minimized, it’s truthful. In June of '44 the best troops were fighting for their lives on the eastern front. A total 0f 58 out of 300 divisions were stationed in France, Belguim and the Netherlands, with many troops being green. They did have some very experienced NCO’s thrown in and some good units. There is a lot of information on this.

During the battle of Normandy no less than 6 SS panzer divisions were engaged in the fighting.

Comparing US losses to Soviet losses is way off base. The US did not send soldiers into battle without weapons and tell them to pick up the weapons of the fallen. We didn’t have political officers ready to shoot our soldiers if the dared to retreat.

Not all of Germany’s best troops were in the East. The Germans regularly rotated veteran unit to the West.

To say that the US faced only worn down Wehrmacht troops is completely wrong.

I didn’t say that. After almost 5 years of war and 3 years since the invasion of Russia and being mostly in retreat since the debacle in Stalingrad early in '43, they whole army was beaten down. Plus we had virtually complete air superiority on the entire western front. (Thanks to the success of our strategic bombing campaign)

There was a lot of tough fighting. I’m not trying to minimize anything, the history is there. The war was over 11 months after we landed.

BTW, the business of the Russains sending in troops without rifles is myth. There TINY kernel of truth during the first few days of the German invasion encircled huge numbers of them and some escaped without weapons to fight again.

I don’t see WWII having a direct (or indirect) connection to the protest in Seattle.

As for the OP’s contention, my brain hurts trying to follow his convoluted logic.

The rest of you can go back to arguing penis size between the protagonists.

A post was merged into an existing topic: General Slop from Various Threads @fd

First, what I said was true.

Second, my initial post, and my continued responses, were primarily in reply to the first post.

Have you given up on the topic of the OP?

The only thing that Kept Russia in the war was US Lend/Lease Aid and our building an entire infrastructure through Africa and India to get the aid to them.

WWII was very peaceful. If you lived here in the US or Canada and never set foot anywhere else during that time. No aerial bombings, no land invasions. The war was nothing but a few minutes of news reel propaganda you’d watch before the main feature. If you lived in Europe or a Pacific nation things did kinda suck though.