WAR in Ukraine, Putin approves initiation of special military operation (Part 1)

We know what they would do, it’s in their nuclear protocol they would use nukes if they felt they were losing. Putin has shown the world Russia is not a threat with conventional war to the west. As long as someone doesn’t get the nukes flying which is what some of us on here are worried about happening.

Putin has made a cataclysmic blunder with this war. He has weakened his army, deflated his Great Power status, stelled NATO resolve, and likely caused another border nation to join NATO.

He should cut his losses and retire to Sochi.

3 Likes

How does NATO expansion threaten the security of Russia? The only thing that I can see NATO expansion threatening is Russia’s, or rather Putin’s, ambitions to restore the boundaries of the Soviet Union.

I could even hear the Russian accent when I read that. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t be a snob Samm. :wink:

I got a little testy reading a quote from some French government official (or it may have been UK…can’t remember) who opined that Russia should stop saying they are “encircled by NATO” because only 6% of Russia’s border is with NATO countries.

I hate such political disingenuousness and nonsense. Those borders happen to be some of the easiest military access points to Russia, not to mention we can plant missiles there that can hit their largest cities in a few minutes.

Not saying that NATO would ever invade Russia but the politicians have to stop assuming everyone is stupid.

1 Like

He’s still selling oil and we are wrecking our economies because it’s more expensive for us.

I wouldn’t be writing off Russia just yet…and of course there’s always China.

This isn’t the Cold War again. The Cold War was infinitely more simple.

This is Great Power Politics again where each power bloc has strengths, weaknesses and interdependencies with the others.

Although…Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia, anyone?

:sunglasses:

I was thinking that this could be Putin’s out.

A Finnish general said Russian soldiers are welcome to invade and join the quarter million Russians already permanently residing in their country after the Winter War.

I kind of love these guys. Mind their own business but they are not playing.

Some people are programmed to panic over everything. The alien thread was enlightening

1 Like

What this snob thing you speak of? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Easily crossed borders are a two-way street. Those borders also happen to be some of the easiest military access points from Russia.

I wonder what kind of concession Erdogan will demand to allow Finland and Sweden into NATO.

I think Putin is crankier about Finland joining NATO than losing the war in Ukraine.

https://english.alarabiya.net/amp/News/world/2022/05/13/Russia-to-cut-electricity-to-Finland-from-Saturday-Supplier

Boom- there’s the Trump we know and love.

Former President Trump on Friday criticized lawmakers for working to pass $40 billion in aid for Ukraine, blaming Democrats for advancing the legislation despite it also having support from a majority of House Republicans.

“The Democrats are sending another $40 billion to Ukraine, yet America’s parents are struggling to even feed their children,” Trump said in a statement issued through his Save America PAC.

Does that mean NATO would be able to claim a right to control over Russia and send in troops if they see them as a potential threat? If their own security justifies a Russian invasion of Ukraine, then surely Polish and German security would justify an invasion of Russia.
In fact, I believe one of those countries used just that excuse for invading Russia once.

1 Like

They are. I know.

All I was saying is the 6% comment was disingenuous.

No, it does not mean that.

Okay. I agree.