Walmart to close ALL Portland stores in March

The problem is trying to find one size fits all solutions for multi-faceted problems.

1 Like

Covid caused businesses to do more remote work. Whether you want to blame that on lefties or the virus is fine. But the reality is that once covid started to lift employees didnā€™t want to go back to working at the office.

That has caused a sea change in how businesses operate and is causing a lot of businesses to no longer locate downtown as they donā€™t need the office space. This in turn causes less people to be around to go out for meals and buy things, causing further business drops in downtowns throughout the country.

They have cited crime before. There is a quote and everything.

I heard an interview last week with an addict in recovery last weekā€¦forget his name but he talked about how that will work.

Theyā€™ll get the taxpayer moneyā€¦get free food from the taxpayers at some shelter or clinic or somethingā€¦the one expense they have that the 1000 will go to is drugsā€¦

The taxpayers will be funding the addictionsā€¦

Brilliant plan courtesy of the lefties running that once beautiful cityā€¦

When I fly into Portland a week from Friday babe drive out if the airport once green spaces all along my route will be filled with ragged tents and homelessnessā€¦at least thatā€™s what I saw the last time I was there.

Itā€™s disgustingā€¦you want to know what liberal left wing America will look likeā€¦there it is.

1 Like

Yeah the homelessness sucks. Pretty intractable problem. But if you are in town I highly recommend the Hawthorn, Division and Montavilla neighborhoods. Great restaurants and nightlife throughout.

It is not. Small business does not have the deep pockets to survive retail loss.

Itā€™s more than that. The homeless and drug addict population tends to keep any other potential clients away.

1 Like

It can be effectively managed.

Here is the template.

And the second part is an issue

Does small business gain retail when Walmart closes though?

Interesting. I took a look at an article on it and it looks like they donā€™t allow folks to set up tents on sidewalks while still trying to direct folks to services.

Thatā€™s been the biggest issue. Even when Portland has done sweeps to stop people from camping on city sidewalks, they just go around the block and do it again. Rinse and repeat.

Iā€™d love to see more on what that mayors doing. I donā€™t care if youā€™re a democrat, Republican, communist or from the blue people party. Whoever can figure it out should be heard.

1 Like

There is always Walmart kryptoniteā€¦Amazon.

I donā€™t see any worthwhile opportunity for small retail business to fill the void unless they have a small footprint and a plan to handle theft and vagrants without police help.

Would it be worth it? Maybe. Would not be easy. There was a time that Walmart saw opportunity in that location and now they do not. Someone with lesser expectations just might. More likely is that blight takes hold much like Detroit saw.

1 Like

The key was getting the people to say yes to the alternatives they offered.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦maybe next time this is a business trip Iā€™ll land rent a car and get on 1-84 headed east.

Please understandā€¦and I know we disagree on pretty much everythingā€¦

But even though I now live in Texas I love my home state. Iā€™m a northwest guyā€¦still loyal to the Seahawks in Cowboys country (and Seahawks loyalty ainā€™t easy).

Iā€™m not bashing for the sake of bashingā€¦ Iā€™m disgusted because so much of what has happened to Portland, the drugs, homelessness, rising crime and defunded police since 2020ā€¦none of it is necessaryā€¦

What that city should be is not what it has become.

If potential customers have stopped coming to an area there is no market share to acquire. And when the Walmart closes the predators will still be there, but the only prey for them will be the remaining businesses.

1 Like

Have you ever been to Coronado? Itā€™s an island. With avg home prices of around 2-3 million.

Seahawks! My favorite team- and yea thatā€™s hard to be a fan. Been sad since Wilson left. Iā€™ve watched them since I was a kid and watched them suck pretty much forever except that Golden era.

And yes we may disagree on everything, but I have a feeling most of us could drink a beer over a game without getting into a fight. Fun to argue here tho.

Ahā€¦I knew there had to be something about that place.

If fixing homelessness was easy it would have been done.

Like Marthas Vineyard then.

I have not been there.

Well you could try booking them for vagrancy, which allows a drug test, then book the for being high in public.

The only ways to stop a epidemic of drug-induced homelessness are

1. Stop the drug epidemic
  2. Drug test for welfare and food stamps etc.
  3. free housing for life for anyone who wants one.

Thatā€™s the point isnā€™t it. You canā€™t just say ā€œwell the CEO said they are underperformingā€ while ignoring his previous comments about crime. Why are the stores underperformingā€¦one of the links I posted discussed the people leaving townā€¦.in their 40ā€™s taking their ability to spend and buy and pay property taxes with them. What kind of business climate is being createdā€¦

Send Kamala in maybe the need to find the ā€œroot causesā€!

(Just kidding)

1 Like