Walmart to close ALL Portland stores in March

I’m a native Oregonian…I love the state and love what Portland should be…very few cities have the opportunity based on their location, natural beauty, available natural resources to be what Portland could be.

Sadly…decades of liberal democrat stupidity have destroyed that possibility.

5 Likes

Non-existent criminal prosecution of shoplifters and crackheads disturbing the peace is the obvious reason. I don’t see how anyone trying to make a profit can survive. On top of that, you have leftist small businesses that cater only to their like-minded niche customers. What kind of idiot would ever invest in downtown Portland?

It’s a shame! Beautiful state.

You seem to know.

It is a shame…it’s disgusting…

You wanna know what the liberal left and democrats have in store for America. The evidence is right before your eyes in places like Portland and so many other lib run cities and states.

It’s not just the Walmarts in Portland or the Walgreens in San Fran, it’s the kids walking thru homeless camps and drug dens going to schools, it’s the people and businesses moving out. In Oregon 11 or 13 I forget which rural eastern and southern counties want to join Idaho.

Liberal democrats destroy what they touch.

1 Like

May be you helped? :smirk:

3 Likes

May be it’s all the boycotting cons have done over the years for various reasons? :joy:

1 Like

Why is it not good news?

2 Likes

Walmart gave their reasoning. If you don’t believe them then I can’t help you.

3 Likes

That’s the inevitability of leftism and unfortunately, they are unable to think long-term and see it because they are ruled by emotions. A lot of leftists got sick of what they sowed in places like Portland, so they go elsewhere and try to instill the culture and laws that will destroy their new homes.
It’s an endless cycle of lazy parasites who at the end of the day want others to pay for their ■■■■ while being able to tout their traits and beliefs as accomplishments.

2 Likes

“Portland’s population is on the decline after decades of growth.

This past year, Portland State University reported Multnomah County lost more than 2,300 people, a trend we’ve been seeing since 2020.

Experts say the problem may no longer just be the pandemic, but the Rose City itself.” Willamette Week: Portland's declining population | KATU

Watch the video with the attached story it’s about 3 minutes long. Portland and Multnomah County have lost population for the last 3 years…maybe high taxes and high crime have something to do with it. “ PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — City commissioners met with Portland Police Bureau Chief Chuck Lovell at this morning’s council meeting to discuss the alarming details published in the city’s 2021 annual crime report.

At the meeting, Lovell listed statistics for the drastic increase Portland saw in crime last year, which included a record number of homicides and shootings.

“It’s been a difficult two years for a lot of people in many professions,” Lovell told city commissioners. “It has been especially difficult for the law enforcement field as a whole. At the Portland police bureau, I can say the challenges have been the most significant of our careers.” https://www.koin.com/news/portland/portland-city-council-addresses-eye-popping-annual-crime-report/

It’s idiotic that in a place as beautiful as Portland people might be leaving for quality of life issues.

When people are leaving communities where crime and homelessness are on the rise, in a city that defunded the police (another stupid liberal idea)…” PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Night after night, hundreds of people marched the streets of Oregon’s largest city, demanding racial justice after the murder of George Floyd by a white officer….Among the rallying cries were “defund the police” — a call for elected officials to reallocate some law enforcement funding elsewhere. In June 2020, the Portland City Council and the mayor answered by cutting millions from the police budget.”

When those factors exist in a city is anyone surprised retail outlets are underperforming? When communities are being destroyed by dumbassery that’s a bad recipe for good business…

The Walmart CEO months ago said this… The announcements come just a few months after the Walmart CEO warned stores could close and prices could increase in light of sky-high retail crimes affecting stores across the country….“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in December on CNBC. He added that “prices will be higher and/or stores will close” if authorities don’t crack down on prosecuting shoplifting crimes.”

Sorry that was way too long but I think you get my point. I grew up in Oregon…would love to move back someday…sadly I’m afraid the people of the state’s largest city who’s votes control policy for the whole state have embraced stupid liberal democrat policies that will continue to fuel decline.

3 Likes

I’m sure there are plenty of beautiful locations in the Eastern 13 counties.

That is so funny. You are arguing small business drove Walmart to close those stores.

No. Its the location and the policies on crime.

It is not good news.

Is the closing of the Walmart good news for small businesses in the long term? Yay or nay?

If only Walmart cited crime as the reason for closing the stores?

Having lived most of the first 55 years of my life in Eastern and Southern Oregon…

Yes there are.

So short sighted and narrow minded…

“Theft is an issue. It’s higher than what it has historically been,” Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in December on CNBC. He added that “prices will be higher and/or stores will close” if authorities don’t crack down on prosecuting shoplifting crimes.”

Small businesses are paying the price too…Headline “ Some Portland business owners have closed, citing crime uptick”

“As leaders grapple with growing violence in Portland, some business owners say they have been forced to shut down due to crime……Meanwhile, a store is drawing crowds of customers and long lines due to its sales of psychedelic mushrooms, KPTV reported. It’s happening even though it’s illegal in Oregon to operate and sell the hallucinogenic component in mushrooms……While some community members were concerned that the shop would add to the crime rate, one local business owner said this store and others like it aren’t actually the problem when it comes to the area’s crime issues….“They’re not a problem. They’re not causing the crime in the city that is causing these retail thefts, and all the other stuff that is causing businesses to want to close up and leave,” she said.” https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/some-portland-business-owners-have-closed-citing-crime-uptick/

Is there a moment in recent history business owners can point to?

“Landolfo said the increase in crime has had a snowball effect since the 2020 riots.”

The conditions in Portland created by decades of stupid liberalism under democrat rule have been bad for everyone from the local hardware store to Walmart. I believe that is the correct takeaway from this story.

And in those decades crime in Portland went down. Something else happened in 2020 and crime started going up nationwide.

He is not wrong. Can’t ignore a rise in crime as having an effect but calling someone short sighted and then looking solely at the indicator that benefits your argument isn’t exactly good analysis.

What prevented walmart from citing to crime?

This is a more interesting issue and one that relates to many downtowns right now. This isn’t just happening in Portland but a number of major cities.

Covid caused many businesses to close downtown office space to shift to remote work. That in turn caused there to be less people to buy meals and shop in downtowns leading to a ripple effect of business closures.

Downtowns used to be gutted due to crime in the 70s, the rise of suburbia and “white flight”. I doubt that downtowns will return to that era and it seems more likely that downtowns will shift to making more residential condos and apartments versus office space.

I shared the same quote twice.

If you can’t read it’s not my fault. The CEO said crime nationwide is an issue several months ago.

Again if you can’t figure out that the combination of crime, people leaving the community and taking buying power with them, all contribute to an unfavorable business climate I’m really not in the mood to waste my time.

I laid out the case above with quotes and links and all kinds of fun stuff. If you don’t want to read it…not my problem.

That area has sadly been dominated by leftists for decades…you reap what you sow and all of Oregon is paying the price for wayyyyy too much liberalism.

I have better things to do than play little games.

You posted a quote that supports my position lol. The feo cites crime is an issue which means nothing stopped Walmart from citing to it for the closing of these stores

You ignored the part of my post that said that crime was down for decades. Because that’s an inconvient truth for those evil dems. But that’s part and parcel for your style.

Thank you for wasting your time to discuss something.

1 Like