Video Games (what are you playing)

Yeah, good suggestion…although if your dropping that kind of money you also want the main screen to have a good refresh rate.

Pretty standard nowadays but I remember when I went from the old 60hz to a 140hz and wow it was night and day.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-27-ips-qhd-170hz-1ms-g-sync-compatible-gaming-monitor-with-hdr-displayporthdmi-black-black/6454341.p?skuId=6454341

Pair it with something like this.

Black Friday deal at under $200.

WW

Would there be any issues with connecting it to a 50” lcd tv…depends on refresh rate?

Nope, I do it all the time with my laptop. You might need to put it into port #2 though.

1 Like

Thank you all for your input. Now to get up on games.

1 Like

The smartest kids prefer platformers. :wink:

Example?

What kind does he like?

Are we talking online shooters? Single player?
Hack and Slash (Dark Souls like)?

Shooters with campiagn stories?

Complex/rich RPG’s (Divinity Original Sin 2, Baldur’s Gate 3 like)?

Puzzle games?

Simulators?

WW

Here’s all the platformers I have, and also my top 5 (in no particular order).

Hollow Knight is by far the “best” ever made at this point.

My personal favorites were the Ori games.

Gucamelee! was the purest of fun.

The Shantae series has good mechanics and great eye candy.

Stray - you get to be a kitty, and do all the things kitties do. It’s badass.

And then there’s anything Portal related which is always a winner. A masterful blend of platforming and puzzle solving. There are still a half dozen fan-made mods in the works, free for Portal 2 owners.

So far his exposure has been Fortnite, Minecraft, among Us, Modern Warfare 2, and whatever Parker Plays, Dan TDM, or Matt Sundee play on YouTube. I think a lot of his interest in getting a gaming PC has come from wanting to play the games they played and narrated.

I recognize Cuphead from that list.

I was hooked just on the animation style alone. It gets quite challenging too. lol

Santa is bringing this on Christmas morning, even though he called us out on Santa back in February.

We used to get him to write Santa a letter, and the past couple of years he’s been reluctant. So I told him I’d write it and start it off with “Dear fat man,” he wrote it for himself after that. :joy:

2 Likes

No issue but you won’t really see it’s true output either.

Which is not a big deal to some folks. I stream my PC to my big screen when I want to do some couch playing and it works just fine.

1 Like

As for games I would buy a game that’s going to showcase the new machine.

Do you have an Xbox by chance with the game pass?

If so you can link the pass to your PC and have access to that library of games as well.

I was going to suggest Halo Infinite, fun campaign mode with multiplayer if you get into it.

But it’s free with the game pass.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking of a cooling fan docking station setup when connected to the TV. All of these things get hot, from what I’ve read. I can put a filtered fan under a slotted shelf to assist in cooling. It will be plugged in so that battery life won’t be an issue.

We have game pass. Good info.

Yeah a cooling fan is key for sure, your on the right track you got dis.

Will this make his Xbox pretty much obsolete? If so, daddy just got a new Xbox. :rofl:

Well - does he have any papers that need to held down? [J/K]
But another thing to think about is how the Gaming PC will be controlled.

Wired/Wireless X-Box controller will be an option.

But if he want’s to play Keyboard/Mouse then you want to think about the TV setup and the logistics of accessing the mouse and keyboard physically. Maybe a wireless mouse/keyboard for the couch experience?

Since I run a desktop something I haven’t had to worry about. My wireless X-Box controller works just fine on my machine and when playing mouse/keyboard I use a wired setup. But I’m right next to the physical computer.

WW

1 Like