Utah legislature passes bill removing straight party vote

^^^^^^^^^^^^…and BAM…this is why this policy was enacted. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Like

Speaking of work perhaps consideration should be given to changing the day of elections to Saturdays as well.

1 Like

Lazy people get representation too.
I don’t encourage lazy people to vote. But those lazy folks who do make it to the polling place should have as much information as is reasonable. An R or D next to a name gives them a broad idea of the candidates positions.

This is definitely something I support. I supported it even back when I was strongly Republican. Now that I’m independent, I support it even more.

On a side note, I always thought it was odd when I got to my polling place and I saw sample ballots going around, with people studying them carefully trying to figure out who certain candidates were. By the time I get to the polls, I’ve already researched the candidate field of each of the offices to the point that I know exactly who I’m going to vote for and why. It’s always funny when someone finds out you’re writing someone in and they look at you like you’re from Mars, and say “you can do that?”

Ok.I misunderstood I thought you were saying you didn’t want party affiliation

Thank God for this. Hopefully those ignorant little whiners out there, who hate not having everything done for them, don’t bother voting now since it’s too mentally taxing at this point.

:rofl:

1 Like

All elections should be non-partisan then. Eliminate political parties.

The Michigan legislature did this and the people amended their constitution to enshrine it in the basis of law.

Let’s just remove the party affiliation from the ballot. If people don’t do their research they will have no idea which party the politicians on the ballot belong to. That’ll really discourage uninformed voters from voting.

And that is why I would prefer that the name only and no pary affiliation appear next to the names on the ballot.

let him find out through knowledge what each candidate’s platform and party is.

Disagree.

They should know the candidate they are voting for . . . . not the party.

You are correct.

I want no party affiliation listed next to candidates on the ballot.

Under president – I want a list of names (in random order).
Under us senate – I want a list of names (in random order).
Under house district x – I want a list of names (in random order).
For Utah Governor – I want a list of names (in random order)

No party affilation listed next to them. No straight party vote.

To keep me from having a choice. Got it.

Except knowing the party DOES provide information on the platform.

Your choice isn’t being restricted. The Dem candidate would still be listed on the ballot.

You would just have to know what their name is.

That’s what they’re attempting to have you do. You’re the one who doesn’t recognize that due to your partisan blindness. :sunglasses:

Then you SHOULD know the person representing that party without being told who they are.

If you are presented a list of names – no party affiliation – and you don’t know what one is what party – you would have two choices. Leave it blank and move on, or take your best guess and hope you got it right.

That’s why it needs to change. So people actually know the candidate they want to vote for.

If i don’t know who is running i don’t vote for them. Judges are a good example. If i don’t know anything about them then i don’t vote for them.

Nope I look them up on the net.

And what is wrong with that? If a person finds they identify with Republican policies far more than Democrat policies they likely will vote straight ticket. I have no problem with that. All the little races can be difficult to research ahead of time.