US Deals Heavy Blow to China Tech Ambitions With Nvidia Chip Ban

200 billion? That’s barely enough to buy 4 Twitters. :rofl:

3 Likes

Only if the companies pay it to the employees and it is not sustainable.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/china-launch-new-40-bln-state-fund-boost-chip-industry-sources-say-2023-09-05/

President Xi Jinping has long stressed the need for China to achieve self-sufficiency in semiconductors. That need has become all the more pressing after Washington imposed a series of export control measures over the last couple of years, citing fears that Beijing could use advanced chips to boost its military capabilities

The Biden administration should keep its thumb on this pressure point.

Is it time for another CHIPS act?

1 Like

Given Nvidia GPUs and its associated Tensor cores are particularly efficient at working with AI, it’s no surprise the change in language here is becoming more direct and the comments more pointed. Nvidia in particular has been quick to redesign its products to beat the sanctions, including what appears to be a hamstrung RTX 4090 designed to get past the restriction on total processing performance (TTP) and performance density (TD), the two metrics currently used to judge whether a consumer GPU can be exported to restricted markets.

“We cannot let China get these chips, period” she said. “We’re going to deny them our most cutting edge technology.”

“If you redesign a chip around a particular cut line that enables them to do AI, I’m going to control it the very next day”

I don’t understand the technology, so I can’t comment on whether or not the Biden administration is being too strict or too lax.

I am pleased that the administration is taking the threat of Chinese AI this seriously. That’s all.

Well China is still getting most advance equipment to make latest chips.

I caught this when the article came out.

I’m not expert on chip manufacturing nor do I pretend to be one…but there seems to be questions about how they were able to build 7-nanometer chips that are being used in China new smart phones.