UK General Election

Labour has been taken over by the hard left. They will never win power until that changes.

I previously voted Labour my whole life and was a member until Corbyn won re-election. It breaks my heart to see what it has become.

Yeah, I’ve been catching up on this, apparently most younger Brits are hazy on the difference between Northern Ireland and the Republic and know that the UK did something not very nice to the Irish but aren’t sure exactly what, since your school system doesn’t like to talk about it much?

It’s more that we ■■■■■■ over so many places we can’t dwell on any one country for long

I don’t really buy that. America has ■■■■■■ over tons of people but black folk are right there in front of us all the time so it weighs heavier on us. You can practically throw rocks at Ireland and your country is full of them.

Yeah they majorly ■■■■■■ up by changing the selection process to make it more Democratic. All it did was enable the more dedicated members of the left wing swamp the membership vote.

It’s exactly this ^.

Selling off is an exaggeration. Privatizing parts of it piecemeal? They’re already doing it.

No disrespect, but we have pubs older than your entire country. We have a very, very long history of ■■■■■■■ people over.

We’ve got too much history to teach to give it all the proper amount of time it deserves, let alone cover the rest of the world.

Where can you go though? Lib Dem? Didn’t they form a coalition with the Tories and usher in a decade of brutal austerity that made Obama era Republicans look reasonable?

But Ireland just isn’t that relevant.

Germany and France are far more significant.

At school I studied the Raj (we were the baddies), the second world war (we were the goodies) and Vietnam (you were the goodies or baddies, wasn’t made very clear) in depth.

Yep, events in France and Germany get far more media attention than Ireland as an example. We just really don’t think of Ireland very much and haven’t done since the 90’s.

Most Brexiteers would happily surrender N.Ireland if it meant getting Brexit, and that’s not out of malice.

I’ve joined the lib dems and handed out leaflets for them in this election.

We’ll win my seat but I am under no illusions that they are anything but a refuge for anti brexit centre left, red Tory, Blairite scum like me.

What in the world is a “red Tory?” I’m still picking up your political slang.

The Trotskyist faction running the Labour party tend to refer to anyone who doesn’t viscerally hate Tony Blair as a red Tory, a suggestion that they are not real Labour and should join the conservative party.

So now lots of people who used to vote Labour will vote Tory today.

Not the best strategy, but these are morons we are talking about.

I’m well aware, I live in one of the oldest cities in America and it’s named after one of your prime ministers. But Ireland seems pretty relevant when it’s literally the thing making Brexit an impossibility. You could ditch Ulster but they’re pretty emotional about the whole being British thing and they’re known to blow people up when they get emotional.

This is true but a misunderstanding of Brexit.

Brexit is not a rational position to take, it is raw nationalism bourne of xenophobia and misplaced superiority.

There was, and never has been a plan. Details are irrelevant, it’s all about sticking it to the metropolitan elite.

Just as a side note, “metropolitan elite” actually makes you sound like a really cool person I’d want to hang out with. Also it’s weird because aren’t most of the politicians using it public school educated old Etonians.

Even the people campaigning for Brexit didn’t think Ireland would be a big deal in Brexit. That’s how big a blind spot we’re talking.

20+ years ago it’d have been different.

Politics is all about snappy slogans, take back control, MAGA.

Make them hate the other lot, dispense with nuance and detail as a plot by experts to confuse the simple minded.

And it works.

The jewel in the crown is for big pharma to have drug controls removed and I have no doubt a Johnson government will try that.

They want the UK to be like the US where they can charge what they want and all manner of prescribed drugs can be advertised on TV.