UK General Election Imminent

Rishi Sunak is expected to announce today the date for the next UK general election. A lot of pundits are saying 07/04 will be election day.

Once the announcement is made, the PM will request permission from King Charles to hold an election and then will set a date to dissolve parliament. The election has to take place 25 days after the dissolution of parliament.

This is what I love about the UK system, there is only 6 weeks of hard campaigning, party political broadcasts, speeches, pretty much the whole shebang. Then its election day and boom its over.

And it’s on. Sunak has got permission from the King to dissolve parliament and the election will be held on 07/04.

Got to love Tony Blair’s 1999 theme song Things Can Only Get Better playing in the background LOL as Sunak is talking.

1 Like

Definitely makes more sense when you post about it. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ha thanks, I suspect it will be pretty much just me and @Safiel and a few others discussing this.

And i get it, the UK general election is not going to impact the lives of Americans.

3 Likes

An interesting date to be sure. It would mean that Parliament would be dissolved in early June.

A bit of trivia from the above article. The last July General Election occurred in 1945 and saw Winston Churchill routed by the Labour Party.

Looks like history will repeat itself.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

1 Like

It would be a beautiful thing if we could compress American politics to six weeks. :smile:

3 Likes

American politics is election all of the time. Year round comrades.

must be nice to have your elections take place over one day instead of multi-week long mail in harvested rig fest

1 Like

No wonder election fatigue sets in. Even I as a self confessed political junkie gets burnt out.

Amen.

Electoral Calculus must be extremely busy, given the election announcement. VERY slow today.

I did get through a couple of calculations.

Labour shows as high as 488 seats.

Conservatives show as low as 76 seats.

LibDems around 40 to 50 seats.

Even with 12% of the vote, Reform does not get a seat.

Greens double to 2.

SNP falls to 19.

2 Likes

So I have a stupid question? What party did the Whigs mostly migrate to after they self combusted back in the day in the Uk? Did they mostly go conservative or did they end up in Labor?

I believe most Whigs merged into the Liberal Party after the Whig Party died. Some later migrated to the Conservative Party after realignments in the early 20th Century.

2 Likes

The realignment was due to World War I right? I know that war had enormous consequences for the UK from an international political standpoint as it defined their foreign policy for twenty years afterwards (trying to keep France in line, the German Weimar government mostly in line with the Versailles treaty, trying to keep the US from calling in the enormous debts the empire owed the US from the war, and keeping its empire mostly docile and afloat after Canada and Australia basically had a soft revolt and demanded full commonwealth status due to their enormous sacrifice for Britain) but I’m not really familiar with its domestic consequences beyond the ■■■■ show it caused in Ireland for a few years and that it led to the first all classes involved election in parliament in the immediate aftermath of the war. You couldn’t ask 1 million Britons to die for the empire and permanently maim a few million more and then give them nothing in return.

It occurred prior to WWI with the rise of the Labour Party. The Liberals were reduced to a third party and the Conservatives became the more center right party we know today.

2 Likes

Love this discussion.

14 year of a conservative government, highest taxes in 70 year, bad economy, BREXIT, inflation should be fun. All the Labour Party needs to run on “we’re not them”

1 Like

One nice thing about a multi-party system as opposed to a two party system is that it accommodates major political realignment.

The United States had a major political realignment in the 1820’s, leading to a total cluster ■■■■ and a contingent and corrupt election in the House of Representatives.

And it is nice because if a UK political goes too far out on a limb, a voter can shift to a slightly less annoying party. Many UK voters are shifting from Conservative to Reform or Liberal Democrat for this election.

And such defections have forced Labour closer to the center in recent years.

The UK does have mail in voting you do know that don’t you?

Even Keir Starmer can’t ■■■■ up Labour totally annihilating the Tories, and he’ll try.