U.S. security chief 'heaped pain' on grieving parents of UK teen

Every story I’ve seen and every story posted here mentions it.

Ambushing the parents of a dead child with a meeting with the person responsible is horrible no matter how hard you try to explain it away.

Yes it was.

Again from the article you posted: "The family, however, insists Mrs Sacoolas should return to the UK: “Diplomatic immunity laws are put in place to keep diplomats safe, they are not a get-out-of-jail-free card. You have to abide by the laws of the country you are in,” the spokesman told Yahoo News UK.”
.^^^^

Two separate things, nowhere does it precondition meeting her with her coming back in that article.

So ignore everything except the exact wording of a Yahoo article you scrounged up? Next level victim shaming right there!

Please. do you want to meet with her as you previously said you wanted too? “No, we don’t”. “Ok”. The horror.

It was stupid and tasteless to surprise them. Period.

Very true.

I think the point is that the parents’ expressed desire to meet the woman AND the parents’ call for the woman to face proper justice were not initially connected by the parents. It appears more that when the parents were given the opportunity to meet the woman, they balked and then connected the two events.

For the record, I do not fault the parents at all for turning down the opportunity at that time. It WAS a surprise, and maybe they were not ready emotionally for it. And that is totally understandable to me.

I also don’t see it as a total blindside. Yes it was a surprise, but the blindside would have been if they had brought the woman in with the parents unannounced.

The parents were given the option. Nothing was forced. Nothing was pressured. The parents declined. That should be the end of the news. In fact, it shouldn’t even be news.

They said trump brought it up multiple times. I think I heard them say 3 on the radio this morning.

Surprise them with a question? Like I said, the horror.

Apparently Trump pressured them repeatedly for his photo op. Anyway, you must defend dear leader, I get it.

You can’t see how someone saying “Hey, the person who killed your son is in the room next door! Would you like to meet them?”

And then asking 3 more times when you say no

Would be uncomfortable?

Wonder how much a dead kid is worth?

Trying to use them as a PR prop was bad enough. Trying to pay them off with money that isn’t even his is the cherry on top, albeit completely in character for him.

1 Like

Jesus the dude is just burning US/UK relations to the ground.

Literally everything about this situation has been flubbed on the US side. This isn’t what diplomatic immunity is for, and the parents were treated like ■■■■■■■ garbage. Human props for a photo with Trump giving the thumbs up and a grin.

But hey, we’ve all driven on the wrong side of the road right? Oh well.

1 Like

Money cures everything…Typical Trump

Trump is at base a sick, ugly individual.

3 Likes

The person who was allegedly involved should be returned to the UK and face court if there is sufficient evidence for that person to be charged. If that occurs, then the principle of sub judice should be respected until the conclusion of the trial.

@MoleUK I presume there is a mechanism to allow a trial with only a judge rather than judge and jury if that is appropriate.

Wow. Disgusting.