U.S. security chief 'heaped pain' on grieving parents of UK teen

Donald Trump’s national security adviser heaped pain and grief on the parents of a British teenager killed in a car crash by trying to hold a meeting at the White House between them and a U.S. diplomat’s wife who was involved, the parents’ lawyer said.

“He said he was sorry about Harry and then he sprung the surprise that Mrs Sacoolas was in another room in the building and whether we want to meet her there and then,” Tim Dunn said.

“We said no because as we’ve been saying from the start we want to meet Mrs Sacoolas but we want to do it in the UK so the police can interview her. We didn’t want to be sort of railroaded, not into a circus as such, but a meeting we weren’t prepared for.”

What a terrible thing to do to people dealing with such loss.

I also heard on CNN this AM that O’Brien snarled at the suggestion Sacoolas would ever be returned the UK to face justice.

So it wasn’t Trump’s idea? I don’t care, he bought off on it. Trump needs to apologize and censor O’Brien.

usually with trump, at least I feel like I understand what the impulse behind the terrible behavior is, but on this, I don’t even understand why they would do this.

He hoped for a reality TV Oprah type moment that could then be used for self aggrandizing.

.^^^^ Pretty obvious.

5 Likes

Probably trying to get her off the hook. And optics.

I agree.

I don’t suppose anyone in this thread is going to point out they had previously said they wanted to meet with her?

From Harry Dunn's mother wants to meet diplomat's wife to give her a hug

Mother of teenager killed in hit-and-run wants to meet US diplomat’s wife and ‘give her a hug’

A spokesperson for the family has told Yahoo News UK they are bereft at their loss and that Mrs Sacoolas “made a mistake on the night their son was killed”.

They added: "We have no knowledge of this woman, all we know is that she has now been named and she killed our son.

"Charlotte (Harry’s mother) just wants to meet her and give her a hug.

“She made a mistake that night. We all make mistakes."

Still not something I would have arranged if I was Trump, too many ways for that to go bad. Still, you think the meida would mention it when lambasting him over it.

You literally quoted a Yahoo article that says exactly what you say the media isn’t saying. You’re confusing me.

Here’s Trump’s latest media target, ABC News, also reporting on what you say they aren’t reporting, and the story quotes CBS This Morning.

“We’ve said all along that we are willing to meet her, we are still willing to meet her,” she said in an interview on CBS This Morning.

From the article: "The family, however, insists Mrs Sacoolas should return to the UK: “Diplomatic immunity laws are put in place to keep diplomats safe, they are not a get-out-of-jail-free card. You have to abide by the laws of the country you are in,” the spokesman told Yahoo News UK.”

On UK soil so that a proper investigation and interview and be done by police.
.^^^^

From the articel: "“We weren’t ready to meet her, it would have been too rushed,” Tim Dunn said, according to the Press Association. “It’s not what we wanted; we wanted a meeting with her in the U.K.”

On UK soil so a proper investigation can be done.
.^^^^

Not to mention you don’t surprise them with it.

1 Like

They wanted to meet with her in the UK, so she could face justice for what she did.

Yes, from a different, later dated article.

And? Your claim that the media isn’t reporting that part of the story is completely false.

1 Like

It was in literally the article you posted in your post.
.^^^^

It was a ■■■■ move by Donald and his administration.

Period.

1 Like

Essentially, I see agenda on Trump’s part (and maybe yes, or maybe not for self-aggrandizement). And likewise, agenda on the parents’ part. (“Yes, we want to hug her, but only if the bobbies can also hug her with handcuffs…”)

.^

If my child was killed and the perpetrator skipped the country, you betch’a I’d have an agenda.
.^^^^

2 Likes

Not reporting that part in their stories about how horrible he was for offering to let her meet her.

No it wasn’t. Yes, they said should she should come back to the UK in that article, no, they did not lay that out as a condition for meeting her at that time.