U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

"Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced.

In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.

“The resolution as originally drafted placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition to their children,” an H.H.S. spokesman said in an email. “We recognize not all women are able to breast-feed for a variety of reasons. These women should have the choice and access to alternatives for the health of their babies, and not be stigmatized for the ways in which they are able to do so.” The spokesman asked to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely.

“We were shocked because we didn’t understand how such a small matter like breast-feeding could provoke such a dramatic response,” said the Ecuadorean official, who asked not to be identified because she was afraid of losing her job."

Our state department at work boys, the best!

In before “well this is just a resolution then who cares. Of course forgetting the fact that if it is just a resolution then why are there accusations of threats being bandied about

It doesn’t make any sense.

We’ve gone full Captain Planet villain. :frowning:

Yup it sad, I can’t even recognize us anymore

Infant formula lobbyists, apparently. Also infant formula lobbyists are apparently a thing.

That’s a hell of a hill to die on

Yeah… still makes no sense.

Why does the trump administration hate babies?

“70 billion dollar infant formula industry”

You can buy yourself a lot of freedom with that kind of scratch.

This one is really bizarre.

What a bunch of boobs.

4 Likes

Not really bizarre. On the contrary, it is very typical.

A $70 Billion industry trying to “protect” itself at all costs.

Using its lobbyists to get the government to engage in protectionist behavior.

The concept is no different then tariffs, subsidies and other protectionist behavior.

I oppose all sort of protectionist behavior, whether this or whether more convention forms of protectionism.

I guess this is the new Trump style of US diplomacy in action :laughing:.

And of course…

“In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.”

Oops sorry, blind and didn’t see other thread.

I flagged this post for merging and it should be merged into the other thread pretty soon.

I don’t know what position to take on this, except for suprise that baby formula can move international politics to this extent.

I think it surprised even the UN delegates enough to leak it, so it can’t be that boilerplate.

Every US admin uses it’s diplomatic weight, but threatening trade actions over a pro breast-feeding resolution?

Its bizarre because it is so obviously true that breastfeeding is the best thing a mother can do for their child and the US position on this had been to support that message.

No longer.