Twitter's Racist Response to Tim Scott

Do you?

1 Like

Until that post, I essentially only said one thing - that racist people use racist terms, like “uncle tom”.

That term is also precisely the type of trash I rebuke in that post that you agreed with.

Why is twitter allowing it?

Why is it disrespectful?

Not Correct. An Uncle Tom…historically speaking was someone who tried way too hard to gain the approval of white men…usually their slave owner, but others as well, and in doing so, they often acted in ways that was viewed as being servile or fawning toward whites.

Not sure how that is racist toward white people in any way. It is a criticism of some black men by others who tried to curry favor with white men.

I would also add this piece that everyone is missing.

It was ideological AND people who were uncle toms were also oppressing black people right along with white conservatives.

Samuel Ls character in Django is a perfect example of an Uncle Tom. It’s not just “siding with white people” it’s “siding with white conservatives while also using that platform to oppress or put down black liberals.”

1 Like

185 posts in, and a second person finally showed up to defend the use of “uncle tom”. Bittersweet.

2 Likes

Same reason why this board allows it

Uncle Tom isn’t racist. So we still disagree.

If that is racist then so is telling me I’m “living on the democrat plantation”

Because they can?

Their playground… their rules

Bwuh? How?

Who defending it?

I’m just saying it isn’t racist between black people. But it is disrespectful.

People who use that term are racists, who don’t want racism to go away, but to go their way instead.

4 Likes

We’re up to three now, actually. The seal has been broken. :rofl:

1 Like

If you are referring to me…I am not defending it…merely correcting everyone’s misconception of what an uncle tom was or is.

It was used on twitter as uncle tim, because I am guessing Tim Scotts overly servile and fawning nature in his speech was seen by many in the black community as cow-towing to the conservative side of things…this is neither good or bad in my opinion, I am just saying how it was viewed.

Not racist between black people, but racist towards white people. No different than how “whigger” isn’t racist between white people, but it is towards black people.

There’s nothing wrong with not being a cog in a machine.

Can you explain to me why you think that one black person calling another black person an Uncle Tom (Tim) is racist toward a white person?

I truly am not following what you are getting at.

It’s not just race tho… it’s ideology.

If it were race, I’d also be an Uncle Tom

You said and I will quote.

So is that a special privilege?

Conservatism is not a specified ideology. No one can agree on its definition. It’s a boogeyman, associated with a target skin color.