Tucker Carlson thinks tacos are not Mexican, but American

So… we should stop eating pizza and tacos because - unless we somehow become one with those cultures - eating those things would be just more disgusting cultural appropriation by lite racists.

1. I don’t care.
  2. Tucker is a dick.

If it hasn’t been appropriated it isn’t culture.

2 Likes

That’s something a guru sitting on a mountain of hot dogs might say.

2 Likes

Well, you’re in a thread chastising him about calling taco’s American food.

No hot dogs this morning.

But I’m making cinnamon buns as we speak.

Ahh Swedish food.

Cinnamon… the spice of colonization and imperialism. And before white men carted off that tree bark, the Egyptians used it to embalm mummies.

Think on these things as you appropriate more culture this Saturday morning.

Tucker Carlson is a ■■■■■■■ idiot but I’m not sure this is something to get worked up over.

They shouldn’t that’s a form of cultural appropriation.

No, just the opposite. The point here is that we’re a melting pot, and our culture loves to enjoy foods, music, art, and so forth from a wide array of countries and cultures.

Meanwhile what we call Chinese food is hardly Chinese sooo

I disagree with him being an idiot. I have seen him debate. This is him realizing that he can make millions of dollars selling garbage to you know who

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s stupid, by ■■■■■■■■ idiot” I’m referring to his penchant for “selling garbage,” as you put it.

2 Likes

Oh and as a matter of fact, taco’s aren’t Mexican, they predate the country. There was no such thing as Mexico at the time they came about. The first written account of them was by Bernal Díaz del Castillo in 1520, so they would would more properly be called Aztec.

That’s silly. What. percentage of the the MexicN population shares blood with the aborigines people of the area? Dare you to guess

Blood wasn’t the only thing that was passed down. Culture too

Tacos (as we have culturalized them – such as at Taco Bell) are faint imitations of what you would get as home-cooking if you went to dinner at your Mexican neighbor’s house. (Or, at least, at my Mexican neighbor’s house.)

Chinese food you’ll get at most Chinese restaurants in the USA is a faint imitation of what you would get as home cooking if you went to my Chinese co-worker’s house.

Pizza (such as what you would get at Dominos or Little Caesars) is a faint imitation of pizza you would get in an Italian restaurant in Italy. (Ditto spaghetti.)

And yet any of these home-grown versions are still Mexican or Chinese or Italian, colloquially.

Carlson is not wrong. Yet those who argue these things are Mexican or Chinese or Italian are also not wrong.

Still, we should do all we can to beat each other up over this.

1 Like

Is that the new metric? Whether people in your country are descended from the actual people who invented it long before your country existed? Is there a set percentage of them that have to be before you get to claim it as your countries food?

Heck, there is a huge difference among New York Style pizza vs Chicago Style, vs commercial-recipe pizza even here in the USA. Oh, ditto Greek pizza!

I wouldn’t turn down any of it. (But when I go back east I make sure I visit a good NY Style pizzeria!)

Just came back from Italy, I didn’t find their pizza or spaghetti to be much different than many pizzas and spaghetti I have had here. Which isn’t that surprising given the number of Italian immigrants we have and have had.