Trump's tweets were not racist...they were ignorant

Hello everybody, my apologies if this is a repeat. I just got back from vacationing in the state of Maine. While I was relaxing at night, I turned on the television and heard all about Trump’s so-called racist tweets, and want to give my reaction. Let me know where I am going right or wrong. Here’s the madness (see Trump’s twitter account for source):

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly…and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how…it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

I put in bold the most important parts.

For the Trumpist on here, I will defend you up to a certain point. I read and re-read his tweet over multiple times. There’s no racism in here. He mentioned nothing about skin color or make any disparaging comments about X race or X country. And he never said “Go back to your own country”. That’s a media made up quote. He said “Why don’t you”. It’s more of a question than a command.

That’s far as I can defend Trumpist here. Everything else is fair game as far as I can see. Here’s where he goes wrong, terribly wrong:

1. He used the word “congresswomen”, when in reality, there’s only one. If he has problems with Omar and feel she lacks loyalty to the United States, he should have just mentioned her. It looks to me like Trump doesn’t really do his homework at all. He simply assumed that Pressley, Ocasio-Cortez, and Tlaib were foreigners. Assuming people are foreigners are not really racism, but ignorance.

2. He playing in the “Merica’ Love or Leaf it” mentality. Trump is essentially saying “If you do not agree with my policies, you should leave the country”. This is of course – I can’t believe I have to say this – is one gigantic titanic sized logic fallacy. Being critical of X policies, does not mean you hate America, it means you disagree with X policies. Conflating the two is a problem.

3. There/was a strategy happening here. Trump knows that if elections were held today, he would lose to any of the four major Democratic candidates, especially Joe Biden, who leads in Texas last time I checked. He knows that immigrants at the border are being badly mistreated and being denied soap, bed sheets, and medical care. It’s a strategy designed to appeal to his base. That’s why he made said tweet.

I have no problem at all with Trump making arguments against any of “The Squad”, but he needs to be more factual and more informed. Assuming people are foreigners gets you into deep trouble.

1 Like

Yes, Trump is ignorant.

1 Like

I have to disagree. Most racism is not the malicious type but ignorant type that Trump uses. Assuming they were foreigners is racism.

4 Likes

I appreciate your opinion and have always respected your views, however, I have to disagree.

Bernie Sanders has said similar things to what some of the congresswomen have said, and not once has Trump told Bernie to “go back to your country”.

Trump knows how to play to his base, and this was part of it. And he got the result he wanted.

16 Likes

I disagree.

He wasn’t just referring to one congresswomen - he clearly said ‘women’ and refers to ‘they’.

‘Go back to where you came from’ is a racist trope. Has been for decades.

He has fought with dozens of other politicians. He never suggested they ‘go back’. Why? Because they are white.

3 Likes

Nah… they were pretty racist.

7 Likes

Yeah, they were racist.

I am going to listen to the majority of people who have faced racism and trust their judgment. The tweets were racist.

2 Likes

It kind of falls under the CEC playbook staple…It’s the “some people are saying” tactic. “I’m not saying that. it’s just what I heard”. Then once it’s out there and damage is done, they distance themselves from the statement.

3 Likes

And he is our leader, doesn’t speak well for the people who voted for him and support him until this very day.

Deplorables.

Allan

2 Likes

Call him a know nothing damnit. Not a racist.

2 Likes

Maybe not overtly racist, but the quoted statements above were without a doubt malicious, very much so.

1 Like

He’s basically Archie Bunker, but without a single redeeming likeable quality. At least Archie was likeable is some ways…

2 Likes

He is stupid.

The demographic handwriting was on the wall even back in 2012, when we got Lindsey Graham’s famous “We can’t generate enough angry white guys to stay in business” quote.

The GOP had two choices…find a way to be more inclusive of the growing demographic groups, or go for division and keep their power base going for as long as they could by any means they could.

They have chosen the latter, and if you think short-term politics, why not?

The electoral process allows for it, and can be strengthened by getting control of state legislatures and redrawing voting districts to strengthen their power base even more.

Even if it cannot go on forever, it can last long enough for them to make a whole bunch of judiciary appointments…which would keep their influence alive long after their voting power began to wane.

1 Like

Compared to the Democrat plan of importing hordes of refugees to swing the vote that one seems actually brilliant.

/satire

1 Like

trump wouldn’t know a fact if it jump up and bit him on the ass. He has a long history of racism, bigotry, and xenophobia; not good qualities of a president.

What gets me is so-called “Christians” are more upset that he used “■■■■■■■” than the racists chants. What does that tell you about todays Christians?

It is brilliant.

Yep. And unlike the “Democrat” plan… it is actually happening.

Well, he was waaaay off on that one, wasn’t he?