Trump's response to Iran. You like?

Considering there was only one “mosquito” that was “buzzing” this is a rather silly, premature statement to make.

No. This should have been changed the day after they blew up the U.S.S. Cole. Captains are smart enough to handle this policy.

The Captain does. He will warn an approaching vessel that they are getting too close. It’s a big ocean out there. There is plenty of space for the Iranians. If they are in danger, it’s because they chose it.

Yes, I would imagine the Captain does but I don’t and that is why I was asking.

I could be wrong, but I’m not aware of any repeats of the Cole.
Perhaps the current rules of engagement have been working for the last 20 years?
Again, I don’t know what exactly has changed and what “harass” means.
Trump said this:
“We don’t want their gunboats surrounding our boats, and traveling around our boats and having a good time,” Trump told reporters Wednesday evening at the White House. “We’re not going to stand for it. … They’ll shoot them out of the water.”

Having a good time? What does that mean?

Link?

Why are you asking me? What insight do you think I have that you don’t have? :man_shrugging:

Well, it just seems to me that before we tout the President’s statement as a good thing we ought to know what it really means.

I think I know what it means. It means that a captain can destroy an enemy vessel if he thinks they are coming close enough to put his crew in danger. I just read what is says.

And that hasn’t been the ROE over the last 20 years?

He actually gave permission to shoot them down. And it’s surprising…o didn’t know Iran had flying gunboats

The Captains know what they can do. You seem to be the only one confused about the new policy. I can live with that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Since it was announced by Twitter as opposed to being announced to the Pentagon an official policy (as has happened before), military officials are treating it as rhetoric by a Trump to warn Iran.

Ok…a couple of “mosquitos”…but one incident.

Trump appeared to be responding to an incident on April 15 when several Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps vessels crossed in front of U.S. Navy ships at close range in the Persian Gulf.

The Navy said the interaction with the USS Lewis B Puller and USS Paul Hamilton was unsafe and unprofessional.

Do you think it will work?

How would you define “work”?

There was one incident that set Trump off.

Iran will likely hold off and then do it again at a later date and then Trump will “warn” Iran again.

He’s getting pretty good at doing that.

And since style over substance appears to be the order of the day for many Trump supporters…he doesn’t actually have to “do” anything.

1 Like

Turns out no one really cares about Iran being obnoxious when there’s a pandemic. Go figure.

lol

Yo why don’t we just blow them ships up?

Bro that’s genius.

I, too, am still mad about the U.S.S. Cole and Iran for some reason.

Most likely