Trump weighing 25% import car tarriff

I simply won’t.

Dang, I’m glad we bought our new Toyota when we did.

One of the best things about this new forum is we have these great PeterGriffin posts again. You were sooooo missed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure there are…I’m not buying one

I have been very faithful to American cars until recently. The quality and safety factors were the turning points for me.

Also…great dodge…fraud

Just bought our first Japanese new car, a Toyota Rav 4. So far, we really love it. We’d been big fans of Saturns. Owned three at one time. We have two now, with one about to die I’m so glad we bought the new Toyota before Trump got his way with this tariff idea.

It really depends on how the tariff is worded.

If it’s a tarrif on the product itself and it’s home assembly plant then most buyers of Japanese car buyers will not be affected. The vast majority of American sold Japanese models are built in the United States or Canada, which is a free trade zone. In my state two of the largest job creators are Toyota and Nissan; all Nissan Titans and Frontiers are built just over an hour from my apartment.

If it’s a tariff based on the location of the corporate home office then everyone looking at a Japanese vehicle will get hit.

My bet is it’ll be on all foreign-made vehicles no matter where they’re assembled. That would be in line with Trump’s America First policies.

That;s the engine in mine. It’s never blown an intake.

That’s doubtful. Those assembled here will probably get a pass.

That makes no sense at all.

Trump pandering to unions? No thanks.

It’s not as prevalent on the 3.8s as it is on the 3.4 and 3.1l Chevrolet 60 degree engines. Most engines from that time period are known for fairly weak intake castings or if it’s something a Ford Mod motor the plastic plenum cracks like no ones business.

I’d take a 3.8 Series II over any V6 Ford was putting out back then. It’s a solid engine. The block is extremely strong for an engine of its class. It’s not uncommon to see people making mad boost out of them.

I heard they quit making the 3.8. That’s a shame.

Yeah they slowly phased it out in the mid 2000a. It was directly replaced by the High Value 3.9 (itself a descendant of the Chevrolet 60 degree V6 family) in lower priced cars and the High Feature 3.6L in higher priced cars.

Are those engines as good as the 3.8? Just curious.

They make more power. Especially the 3.6 with Direct Injection. Anywhere from 290 to 325 horses depending on application.

They are no where near as reliable. The 3.9 suffers from usual GM cooling issues and the 3.6 eats timing guides and suffers from chain flex after 100,000 miles of service.

Quick must deflect! Der trumpengroper needs defense!

That wasn’t a deflection, or a defense, it was a question.