Trump Wants NATO Countries to Bump to 4% Defense Spending

No it hasn’t been good faith…NATO expansion and European trade deficit came at the expense of American people.

Now how many jobs have the 151 billion dollar deficit that we have with Europeans created? 1 Million? 2 Million? 5 million?

give me a number.

Yeah, they could just buy a couple Joint Strike Fighters and hit 2% of GDP right away.

1 Like

You libs will believe anything if your master tell you…and then repeat it over and over and over again until you’re indoctrinated.

You guys lost all ability to think on your own…or even question those very masters that have indoctrinated you.

Shame.

I rate it true to reality, which is the world Trump lives in.

Technically speaking, they don’t owe. But that wasn’t his point. Notice he did not demand the pay.

So how many jobs has that 151 billion dollar surplus they have created for Europeans?

Come on libs and give me a number.

You nailed it. I mispoke earlier, I said Democrats when that would include those who were still Americans, like JFK etc.

I should have said the nutball deranged Democrats today who are casting anyone sane out of their party, have no core.

You sped read, its coo

I said our approach has to be in good faith

They keep telling me that deficits don’t matter…but not one single lib can tell me why Europeans are fighting to keep their surplus going.

I mean if deficits is so good for the economy why aren’t they importing more goods?

Why would they buy military hardware from a country that is busy ■■■■■■■■ on the NATO alliance and claiming we can’t even buy steel from Canada for national security reasons?

Besides, you seem to really struggle with how governments relate to trade balances. NATO member governments are free to choose to spend their defense money at home. We do it and it’s totally reasonable to do so.

But the government can’t control the overall trade balance in the way you’re imagining. It’s trade between companies and people in those countries and trade is generally positive sum. We buy things from some countries because it benefits us and we sell other things to other countries because it benefits them (and us). Obsessing over the bilateral trade balance with any one country or group of countries is silly. Our trade deficit with the EU isn’t huge and we run trade surpluses with some other countries.

You’re conflating a bunch of unrelated ideas while simultaneously misunderstanding all of them.

2 Likes

Its amazing, I’ve heard that from “experts” on both sides.

Meanwhile, racking up huge surplus of American cash allows them to buy up every technological innovative business we have, and destroy us from within.

So Americans end up working for foreigners, if they are nice enough to still manufacture here.

What should they be importing more of specifically? Do you want NATO member governments to order all of their citizens to start buying more Levi’s or something?

I am not going to pretend I am some knowledgeable guy on deficits and spending. I am a simple man, and what I have seen since the late 1940’s is America grow and prosper to the #1 spot.

A large part of that has been our growing trade and alliances with the world, we have been able to establish a global military presence, promote western democracy and solidified the US dollar as the universal currency.

Now perhaps its time we revisit some of these terms and conditions as after we are in a new economy and it is set to continue changing rapidly. Now more then ever we need to sit down with out allies and in good faith look for solutions. After all our partnership with our allies has not only made us safer, but it has made us prosper.

That is not what Trump is doing, he wants you “outraged!” he wants you to get “mad” but you know Putin is a fine guy.

2 Likes

Soon, he’ll be quoting himself to support his own claims.

Which technically innovative industries have been bought up by Europeans?

Why not buy American goods? I mean imports are good for he economy right?

American has proven they hardware on battleground has it not? They seem to be demanding that Americans base this hardware in Europe are they not?

You seems to know what you’re talking about. Tell me why a trade deficit is better then trade surplus?

How many jobs has the 152 billion dollar surplus with United State created of those Europeans?

Give me a number.

You libs accuse me of not knowing what I’m talking about…that I’m going at it to simplistic…but yet non of you can answer a simple question.

I was thinking of the Chinese. Russians. Our corrupt politicians sold Russia Uranium…

While Mueller was head of the FBI, and Clinton in the State Dept.

They had the cash, from years of deficits.

What say you Conan

Didn’t notice our roads, airports etc deteriorated. The countries running massive surplus have first class airports etc. Check out images of Chinese cities, some of them are truly modern wonders. Make ours look like horse and buggy.

From a strictly economic perspective importing goods might make sense if another country makes them cheaper and better, yes. There are of course political issues, which I mentioned in my post and you ignored, and as I side it’s totally fine and makes sense for both us and them to choose to spend our defense dollars at home.

I have to leave for the evening so I’m not going to attempt to explain what I understand of global trade economics. What I said was worrying about the specific trade balance with a particular country or trading bloc is silly. We export more to some countries and import more from others depending on relative production capabilities and demand and the government can’t control most of it directly anyway.

If I choose to buy French wine and cheese because I like them I’m adding to the US-EU bilateral trade deficit but it’s mostly not up to either of our governments aside from just shutting down trade (likely via a trade war) which just makes all of us poorer.

Again, it’s $101 billion because service exports (and jobs) also count.

1 Like