Trump Wants NATO Countries to Bump to 4% Defense Spending

When you say this, you mean the trade war that Trump started?

And trade deficits aren’t inherently good or bad. To say trade surplus is good, and trade deficit is bad, is to believe trade is a zero-sum game with winners and losers. Trade between countries is mutually beneficial.

For example:

Country A produces good X.
Country B produces good Y.
The countries begin to trade their goods. Country A loves Y, and imports $1000 worth of Y. Country B doesn’t need as much of good X, and only imports $500 worth.
Country A has a trade deficit of $500, and B a surplus of $500.
Which country is winning and which is losing, is Country A’s deficit bad? Or are they both benefiting from their trade?

The trade deficit the US has is inevitable. Americans love cheap goods.

We have already established that you hate America…Chinese cities…modern marvels :joy:

Tell that to the people living under military dictatorship in eastern Ukraine

You have Trump derangement syndrome. Otherwise, you might be a nice guy.

I love America. I don’t plan on leaving, ever.

America also is larger with bigger gdp and spending power

We’re the richest ■■■■■■■ country in history. We have more than enough money to build all the shiny infrastructure you could want but every time Republicans take power they give massive tax cuts to rich people and then say we’re broke and can’t afford anything so we’d better cut Medicare and Social Security. Our overall trade deficit is ■■■■■■■ miniscule compared to what we choose to do with the money that is actually here in our country already.

1 Like

Then why are you all the way over there?

China is a hell hole in term of infrastructure unless you live in one of those ghost cities

Look like NY.

Hell hole?

Have you ever been to China?

What does this have to do with trade? If you want better infrastructure, campaign for more spending on it.

So you want the government to raise taxes and start spending gobs of money on infrastructure and development? Corporations and rich people already have ■■■■ tons of money but you can only build so many mansions and gleaming corporate headquarters for a handful of superrich firms.

Hong Kong, so it don’t count. It was still British then.

I know its not great all over. But where it is, that was American $$$ that built them, thanks to the ballooning surplus of $$$ they accumulate every year. I hear its the highest ever, now.

I’ve been to Taiwan also, but that don’t count either.

Bring a lot of face masks. And an asthma inhaler.

China is spending themselves into a massive depression once building bubble burst.

He suggested all NATO countries go up to 4%

Why do countries that are wealthy from trading with us, have beautiful infrastructure?

They just spend more or is it easier to spend the money, if you got lots of it laying around?