Trump v Democrats

I keep saying - don’t count CO as competitive. But I agree with the rest - states like AL, which are not going to vote for a dem as president, don’t surprise me with the vote counts. Look at CA, CO, MA, & even NC & TN. And this is not all the votes - Warren, Buttigieg, Klouchar, Steyer, even Gabbard all got votes that aren’t counted in that list.

Comparing number of 2020 Democratic votes to 2016 Democratic votes shows an increased turnout in most states.

In most states, voter turnout was significantly higher this year than it was in 2016:

The biggest scare for Republicans is a big voter turnout.

Do you think Gardiner is a lock to hold the seat in Colorado. Polls I’ve seen suggest this could be tight race, but I would not bet money on that being the case.

Last I heard, Hickenlooper was up 13 points over Gardner. That’s been a while back, but I haven’t heard anything good for Gardner. Gardner’s in trouble.

I googled and found this - only Gardner has a 37% approval rating here.

Those sorts of results are why I thought CO was up for grabs. Given the pattern in Virginia and Arizona fo educated women in the suburbs swinging sharply from R to D post 2016, I would assume similar patterns would occur in Denver, Boulder and maybe Colorado Springs.

Don’t know if you should count states with open primaries, I know if my state had one I would have went and voted for Biden to keep Sanders out of contention.

CO has being going more blue for a while. Boulder is blue. CO springs is more likely red. But the Denver metro area has the lion’s share of votes. Dems took control over the state legislature last election.

Boulder has the University and its tech offshoots so one would expect blue. What is changing the electoral results is (in no order of magnitude) suburban woman switching to D because of Trump and African-Americans returning to Obama-election level turnout, also because of Trump.

1 Like

I think CO voted for Bush as the last republican. We went for Hillary last time. I think it’s a more long term trend than just Trump, although no doubt Trump accelerated it.

i find it interesting that in the only state on that list that isn’t pretty much in the bag (NC), hillary got more votes than biden

also, wondered why vox failed to list cali

turnout was down about 1.8 million

Probably because it doesn’t matter. Trump got about 31-32% of the votes and 0 Electrical College delegates from the state in 2016 and that isn’t going to change in 2020.

Not news compared to increased voter turnout in states that Trump either won or as problems in as the General Election for 2020 approaches. Trump needs turnout to be low to be reelected. If there is an increase in turnout in competitive swing states, that is bad for him as the majority in increased turnout will be voting against him.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

wierd then that hillary got more votes than biden in the one here.

i guess thats also why they listed AL and TN… bid swing states. lol

1 Like

That article was from 2 days ago. In it they say -

It’s unclear how much voter turnout changed in Massachusetts and California because both states are still counting votes.

fair enough

Also, CA is still counting mail-in ballots and won’t have a final count for 30 days. In 2016 58% of the ballots were by mail.As of March 5 there are an estimated 3.2M outstanding ballots still to be counted.

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/unprocessed-ballots-status

It was higher in those states.

Coming our for trump was for show…and meaningless

you go with that