Trump should give Chuck & Nancy a win

I’m not talking about illegals. I am talking about the thousands of legal folks that cross the border every day. Many who live in Mexico and work in the US. Like I said, if this virus takes hold in Mexico or Canada it would be hard to stop the influx that would come over the border. However I think that it is more likely that the virus will get here by international travelers who do not know they are infected.

Legal immigrants cross the border at legal ports of entry and at least there we have a means of screening them.

If you want to make an argument we should seal the border completely you free to make that argument but it isn’t going to fly unless we start seeing some cases coming in through the southern ports.

The problem is that you can be infected and pass it on days before you show symptoms. That is the real problem with most virus. And as with any new virus we are playing catch-up with detection techniques and vaccines. I am not going to make any argument about how this should be approached. I leave that up to the health officials.

I agree with your concerns, especially since we don’t know how long a person may be a transmitter before their symptoms manifest themselves.

The one thing that makes me a bit hopeful was yesterday’s report from China that hospital discharges are starting to exceed hospital admissions. The best way to read this is that the illness is akin to a normal flu: very dangerous to people with serious health conditions and elderly but something most people will recover from Not that anything that leads to deaths is good, but at least that is containable.

Of course, we have to be willing to accept an official report from China and how accurate that is is anyone’s bet.

Third points. First, the proposal I was responding to was to tell Senator Schumer and Speaker Pelosi that their funding request is being met, when clearly they are not seeking funds for the wall.

Second: on what planet does the immediate need to manage the cases that occur and develop vaccines and/or cures benefitted by a multi-year construction project aimed at isolating people who have not been identified as carriers yet.

Third: is, as expected, this is an airborne virus, what possible good would a wall be? Shouldn’t you propose we build a dome?

1 Like

We’re all aware of that and the only way around it would be to test everyone trying to get into the US and quarantine them for 14-21 days.

At least by screening out and denying entry to those who are symptomatic you are taking positive steps to mitigate the damage potential.

1 Like

Actually we do. Onset of symptoms is usually 24-36hrs after exposure.

The whole point is to prevent new carriers from getting into the US if you want to prevent a pandemic.

The more infected people you have in the country the quicker and larger the pandemic becomes.

It only took 30 days for 10,000 known cases in china to expand to over 80,000 even with their draconian attempts to quarantine the whole region up to and including locking people in their own homes and apartments and sweeping them off of the streets if they violate the quarantine.

I get your point, which is why flights to and from China have been curtailed. I hope steps are being put in place to screen foreign travelers, especially from regions with high levels of infection. It would make sense to test any apprehended undocumented border crossers as well.

However, the notion that years of wall construction are where we should put our resources right now… when there is likely not enough protective gear for healthcare workers. Let’s be real.

1 Like

Viruses have been known to be stopped by a wall.

I agree with this plan.

This virus does not come over by airplane, or on foot.

1 Like

Trump’s never cared for anything being legal or following constitution.
What are the coward R’s going to do? Nothing. Trump will do whatever he wants, and the R lemmings will gladly jump off a ledge.

1 Like

Cut off the flow and you not only stop more infectees with this virus coming in you also go a long ways towards preventing and mitigating future outbreaks.

1 Like

The wall stops people coming over on foot. That’s the whole point of having it.

Our southern border is by far our biggest vulnerability. People coming off of airplanes and ships have to enter through legal ports where they can be screened and quarantined.

2 Likes

Wrong. At best it slows them down. However viruses ignore walls.

No, the numbers show it’s actually stopping the vast majority.

The virus doesn’t travel absent a host.

Lemme know what provision gives the president the power of the purse thanks.

Link?

The Federal Emergencies Act allows the president to move funds around.

The constitution. This wall ■■■■■■■■ is just a distraction. Twump has been desperately pushing this for 3years so no there is no national emergency reason anymore than his hysteria over the “invasion” that was so imminent he directed military troops to waste their time on.

I really tire of constantly having to provide the same links over and over and over.

At some point you folks just need to learn to accept reality.

1 Like