Trump says he is likely to be criminally indicted over the January 6 event

Our political system is looking more and more like Venezuelas’ as each day passes.

2 Likes

Oh for the good old days when we were told our economy was becoming like Venezuela’s. Now with inflation moderating and steady job and income growth we can remember that the US economy is nothing like Venezuela’s oil dependent economy.

So now it is our politics. The Maduro government has been arresting opposition politicians without due process and without any opportunity to defend themselves. The fact that Trump was notified in advance shows how little the challenges he faces are akin to Venezuela.

Name one Venezuelan politician who has been in court, let alone has a case being adjudicated by a judge they appointed?

5 Likes

Translation: SEND MONEY NOW.

7 Likes

Trump revels in how his legal difficulties enable his fundraising.

Another example of how specious the Venezuela comparison is… Anyone know where to contribute money to pay for the defense of arbitrarily jailed Venezuelan opposition politicians.

4 Likes

As I correctly pointed out, our political system is looking more and more like Venezuela’s as each day passes.

Are you really suggesting the current Administration has not been using the Department of Justice as a political weapon, to attack political opponents?

JWK

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness.___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

2 Likes

Actually, I am. There is no evidentiary basis for not seeing Garland maintaining the traditional independence of DOJ that Trump and Barr gleefully violated. The fact that they are investigating apparent criminal activity by the former guy may make you unhappy, but you still need evidence to support claims.

Trump can assert whatever he wishes, but as the Georgia Supreme Court ruled yesterday, accusations without support don’t hold up in the legal system, no matter how frequently they can get you a slot on Newsman.

3 Likes

Up is the new down.

3 Likes

You have as much evidence to back your claim about up being the new down as you have presented about the Justice Department.

But I can play the game too.

Lies are the new truth.

Well, you should then apologize like the IRS did.

5 Likes

Well, as it turned out, Russia Collusion being used to attack Trump was a big fact lie, and partly fabricated by Hillary.

Why are you defending our Department of Justice being used as a political weapon?

2 Likes

Every time this comes up Cons ignore that the IRS also targeted progressive groups to an equal if not greater degree. But keep playing the fact-free victim card.

2 Likes

Will be interested in seeing what the actual charges and evidence are because on the surface, while I think he should have been impeached, as far as criminality it’s a toss up.

2 Likes

So, are you now admiting government force has been used as a political weapon?

2 Likes

What do you mean by forced to admit? Government has frequently been used as a political weapon: the Palmer Raids; the McCarty Witch Hunts; COINTELPRO and now Comer’s incompetent investigations.

What I am questioning is the narrative which only conservatives are the victims of government overreach.

1 Like

The politically motivated targeting upon tea party groups was so obvious and unequal that they won a major settlement in court.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/9/judge-approves-35-million-settlement-irs-tea-party/

Stop making stuff up. The integrity of our political system hangs in the balance.

3 Likes

This issue has been gone over so many times on the site it hardly bears repeating.

The Mueller Investigation did not find “collusion” between the Trump campaign and the Putin regime and this has been trumpeted, staring with Barr’s phony summary of the Mueller Report into “COMPLETE EXHONERATION”.

Of course, Mueller and the Republican led Senate Committee found that Putin’s regime aided Trump and the Trump campaign willingly accepted the help.

We can observe the same rhetorical trick applied the jury judgment in the E. Jean Carroll case. Since the jury did not find that Trump raped Carroll, Trump and his supporters return to the “COMPLETE EXHONERATRION” trumpeting, although the jury found for Carroll on substantial matters.

We might as well just agree to disagree on this one. It’s been aired to many times to be interesting.

2 Likes

I am not making anything up about the iRS targeting progressive groups. Stop pretending it did not happen.

And THAT - by itself - is one huge piece of the “evidentiary basis” that @H_Arendt claims does not exist.

1 Like

I believe I addressed this in my response to johnwk.

Your deflection is noted. The Russia Collusion fiasco was in fact the use of the DOJ as a political weapon, and used to fabricate a crime and attack a political opponent. Additionally, the FISA Warrants were illegally obtained and used to spy on a political opponent’s campaign.

Why are you ignoring how our system is being corrupted from the inside by some nefariously evil beings?

4 Likes