Trump ignores Pentagon advice and intervenes in military war crimes cases

Thank you for the insight and I can’t fault your logic.

Oh man, I hate that branch. They make the Coast Guard look like a part of the Military! :rofl:

Nuancy(not a word) allows for our support.

It’s good to see all the chest thumping about who knows military rank and rate better than the next guy.

It’s an effective way of not discussing the real issue of whether or not this was the right move or not.

But you guys go ahead and keep thumping.

I read Gholsteyn’s case…and I feel like it was the right thing to do at this time. That’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

Are you a proponent of assisted suicide then, Adam?

Yes it is.

When the US sends ships through the China Sea against China’s pretensions to ownership, the US will be involved.

“Right” move? He has the delegated authority to do it.

Yes he does

So, you want me to assign a value judgement to it? Based on what?

Why did the Ranger Regiment and higher leadership feel it necessary to lie about Corporal E-4 Tillman’s death in Afghanistan?

I am assuming someone in the Regiment was involved, that may not be true.

Yeah. I accept that as part of our role. It’s why we kept 5000 troops in Berlin even though they were surrounded by hundreds of thousands of Soviets. Why we keep 30,000 troops in South Korea today(even though they can’t stop an invasion alone). It’s a US commitment. Maintains a balance. It’s how the world has functioned for thousands of years. Balance of powers.

Who defines “our role” in the context of foreign policy?

30,000 US troops can’t stop or even slow down a Chinese invasion of Korea. They are there to die to give us moral authority. And they know it.

Just like the Fulda Gap contingent was.

Is the power balanced in Asia?

Our elected officials define our role. And I specifically said how our troops in South Korea don’t stop an invasion. Not sure why you’re mentioning it again. We all know the reason they’re there is because if 30,000 US troops die in South Korea than the US has to go all in. Although with Trump I really don’t know. And yeah I would say there is a functional balance in east Asia. No wars. Trade continues. All sides bolstering their militaries. Everyone sticking to their claims.

One.

As for the rest of it, you are ignoring the nuance.

No, congress determines our role also.

No, Congress funds our role.

No they have other roles too. US Taiwan Relations Act is a good example.

No, they don’t.

Wouldn’t it be more accurate to say the Pentagon works for the Electoral College, since Trump did not get the largest number of votes from the American people. I think that would put your argument on much firmer ground.

When you talk about unelected level-climbers, I assume you are referring to those Americans who chose to participate in our volunteer armed forces. Glad to see you are putting those volunteers in their place!

1 Like

The President has the delegated authority to launch a nuke. That doesn’t mean launching a nuke is always the “right” move. If you’re saying anything the President does is “right” because he has the authority to do so, you’re wrong.

2 Likes