Trump halts future research into HIV/AID to appease the religious right

Well… you should have your strawman checked out for HIV.

Funding for hiv is pointless. If everyone did what i do and just stay abstinent forever, they would never need to worry about catching hiv.

What strawman? Is this not you indicating that part of the reason you don’t support this is because most people who have the disease are homosexual?

Maybe you’ll get it from sharing a heroin needle.

Do you support the eradication of this disease at all cost?

Always use your own needles. That’s what I learned going to heroin using school.

1 Like

Let’s be careful about “do EVERYTHING we can…”

It opens the door to Mengele-esque things. And to some people – both religious and non-religious who see abortion as the killing of human beings – using body parts from these victims crosses the threshold of propriety.

1 Like

“At all cost”? Of course not. No disease is worth “all cost.” But you keep pointing out that most people with the disease are homosexuals. You must be trying to make some point with that.

Please clarify the difference between " at all cost" (my phrase) and “do everything we can” (your phrase)?

This disease is cleansing the earth of freaks and scum, good.

For the record I’m against “Mengele-esque things.”

Good to hear. But harvesting body parts from unborn children seems to fit the definition of “Mengele-esque” as far as I’m concerned.

Lots of error in that title.

First of all, Trump didn’t halt future research. He halted federal funding of one current controversial thread of research.

Other research is still conducted with federal funding, and if private concerns wish to fund the controversial research, nothing stops them.

Further, the controversy in fetal tissue research is not solely a religious concern. Religious groups happen to agree with the biology of human life, but even if they did not, the biology of human existence wouldn’t change.

“Religion” makes for a nice boogeyman to dismiss the biological facts of human life, but that dismissal won’t change the fact of when a human life begins.

When I write “do everything we can” I assume that readers will imply the word “reasonably,” as in, “do everything we reasonably can.” “At all cost” isn’t reasonable.

Please clarify why you keep bringing up the sexuality of people who suffer from HIV/AIDS.

… but apparently not against using the body parts of human beings who were killed because they were unwanted.

I posted CDC stats. HIV is a national level concern because of the numbers of people infected. It is relevant in a discussion on HIV and treatment in the US.

Why are you trying to hide information that CDC thinks is extremely important to disseminate?

Are you willing to accept that a large segment of our society does not consider it reasonable to use the body parts of human beings who were killed because they were unwanted?

As voters, we have a voice in the way this society is conducted, and we don’t want our tax dollars funding research we consider Mengele-esque.

Regardless of how you feel about it unwanted pregnancies are ended everyday. Why would we not make something positive of that sad situation by advancing scientific knowledge?

How is it relevant? What does the sexuality of the people with the disease have to do with the topic of the thread, which is research funding?

That’s like justifying brutal murders so medical schools can use the cadavers… SICK!