Trump Grounds Boeing 737 MAX 8 and 9 Jets After Two Crashes

First off, the MCAS is not part of the autopilot system. In fact, it is only operational when the autopilot is off and the plane is being flown manually.

Secondly, yes the crew turned the MCAS off as they were trained to do, but for reasons we may never know, they turned it back on before they had recovered control of the aircraft. The black box also showed that they were flying well over the prescribed airspeed for that segment of the flight (assent) which quite likely contributed to the sensor confusion in the MCAS. The critical airspeed envelope for passenger planes is very small.

In the case of 737-MAX, the upgrade would have prevented the plane from killing the pilots. In the case of the Airbus 330, the upgrade would have prevented the pilots from killing themselves.

Bit of a difference I’d say.

Huge pride is no substitute for competence.

1 Like

Read the part “if the switch is…”. That’s kinda important.

Critical airspeed envelop is small? Only if referring v to cofin corner. 737 can fly with flaps deployed at 200 Kia’s up to 250. That’s a pretty big envelope.

Competence in the fact they have less crashes and their competence mean they acted per manufacturer procedure.

Not really. The Ethiopian Airlines chose to not purchase the upgrade and the pilots chose to not fly the plane as they were trained in conjunction with the Airlines descision. In the case of the Airbus and the pitot tube icing issue, the Airlines choice to not purchase the option that could have saved the aircraft had no compensating procedure for the pilot’s to follow.

Wrong. They followed the procedure approved by Boeing.

The switch should not be turned back on before the pilots have recovered the aircraft. They did just that.

That is not what critical airspeed envelope means. A typical passenger aircraft can have a critical airspeed with respect to stall of as little as 20 kts. at certain stages of the flight. Climb is a particularly sensitive time for the critical flight envelope.

Yes. Hindisght is a great thing.

You’re missing the point.

The pilots crashed the plane in Air France 447. They put it into a stall and didn’t pull out.

With Boeing, their software crashed the plane. Maybe and upgrade would have prevented it.

That is a huge difference.

Oh please tell me more about swept wing aerodynamics. Coffin corner specifically deals with airpeed envelop being crital Mach number and all

So did you mean the difference between green dot and their current speed? You have to be specific

But I am sure all your experience in air transport category aircraft should help

A little. But I did stay in a holiday in last night

1 Like

It wasn’t hindsight. They were trained to turn off the switch and recover the aircraft manually. They didn’t do that.

No. The Air France pilots (and the autopilot) did not know their airspeed. That’s why they ended up stalling the plane.

The Boeing incidents probably would have been prevented by the optional software upgrade, but then in the case of the second incident, following the training and flying the aircraft have probably prevented it too.

It’s much much easier to fix a problem you know is going to happen in sim scenario then flying he line . They did do the procedure, it didn’t work. Period.

Holiday Inn Express…get it right.

1 Like

Why are you getting snippy and personal? If the information I have posted is in error address it.

A stall, then another, then another, then another.

But they also did have a zillion EICAS message and we’re both trying to fly the aircraft…in different ways

Uh, no. That’s incorrect. They crashed the plane because they pulled up unnecessarily and kept pulling up the entire time despite being in a stall with stall warnings going off nearly continuously.

The only thing the lack of airspeed did was take the plane off autopilot.

But I did. The ■■■■ hole country comment, non American pilots being subpar, and a meriad of other ones. All the while trying to portray knowledge.Doesn’t work so well