Trump Falsely Says Law Prevents Him Releasing Tax Returns Under Audit

Can or shall?

It is important to understand that trump has no say in whether his returns are delivered to congress.

You forget, that the President alone will decide. Ocasio is a nobody.

Nope, the Dept of the Treasury does and they will provide them.

1. Once a request is made, no floor action is necessary. The request would go to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, who oversees the IRS — not to the taxpayer in the Oval Office, who would officially be out of the loop. Yin said the 1924 law “gave the tax committees the unqualified right to request the tax returns of any taxpayer.”

Trump ‘can’, but if requested, the IRS ‘shall’.

1 Like

Actually he does. The Treasury Secretary works for Trump. He won’t do anything against Trump’s will.

Collusion, fails… switch back to tax returns…lol. I mean what else would they do in the house. Produce legislation?..

They work for Trump. They won’t do anything without his approval.

Are you sure?

No he won’t alone decide.

Kooky cortez… The establishment dems have shut her up.

Not true at all. They work for Trump. Trump can and likely will prevent them from releasing his tax returns.

I don’t think you understand how this works. The Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee isn’t asking Trump for his copy.

I fear you’re telling the truth despite the Secretary taking an oath to the constitution and not Trump.

Actually he will make that decision.

The executive branch isn’t subservient to the whims of a partisan congress.

I’m open. Show me something different.

Is this enough?

President Donald Trump said erroneously that the law is on his side to fight House Democrats’ attempts to see his personal and business tax returns.

“Hey, I’m under audit,” Trump told reporters Friday as he was leaving the White House for a trip to the California-Mexico border. He added that the law on releasing tax returns is “100 percent on my side.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-05/trump-refutes-democrats-authority-to-obtain-his-tax-returns

They will if they’re true to their oaths. They don’t need his approval to honor those oaths.

The IRS is in the executive branch. It isn’t an independent branch of government. Trump will decide how the Treasury Secretary responds.