Trump donates other people's money

You know, I’d completely forgotten that Trump divested himself of his financial stakes in Trump Organization. Perhaps you could remind the class when that happened?

2 Likes

No I don’t think so.

Why should one be praised for claiming one thing and doing another?

This “Trump doesn’t even take a salary” line is one Trump supporters repeated a lot…the OP rightly shows it’s an empty symbolic gesture.

Like a lot of things Trump does.

We don’t know how much sickness America has been spared yet.

The point of the OP is it’s not the praiseworthy thing many Trump supporters made it out to be.

Donating to charity isn’t praiseworthy? I agree had he wanted to stay as true to his promise as possible he would donate to the govt but donating to charity is still mighty praiseworthy.

Uh yes he’s taking it, the fact that he gives it away after he takes it doesn’t negate the fact that he’s taking it.

donates other people’s money…

sounds like utopia

Everyone here knows I’m about as anti-Trump as they come.

However, he is NOT donating other peoples money. Once the salary is paid to him it’s his money and of course he can do with it was he wills.
.WW, PHS

4 Likes

Not when compared against all the other things he does.

Not when he throws it out there when confronted with things like trying to have the G7 be hosted at Doral after The hosting Committee was caught pretending they had actually vetted other sites and chose Doral via completely objective means, for example.

It wasn’t praiseworthy when JFK did it…it’s not praiseworthy now.

Trump gives salary to charity and look at the wave of resulting hair on fire comments. I hope folks at least keep one friend with a fire extinguisher near by.

2 Likes

What wave?

Called it!

It is his money though.

We do know it was the correct response done promptly…OR…are you arguing travel restriction and quarantine is the wrong mitigating government response?

:thermometer:

This thread needs derailed due to the inaccuracy of the title.

:raising_hand_man:t3:

1 Like

Absolutely, and then he is entitled to claim the amount he donated as a charitable deduction. That is both legal and appropriate.

This whole thread seems odd to me. In the job of President, Trump earns his salary, whether it is paid out of taxpayer revenues or paid out of corporate earnings, as salaries most of us have earned were paid. The notion that Trump is using “other people’s money” in this instance really feels like a stretch.

All I said was it remains to be seen how much sickness we have been spared.

You drew a conclusion well in advance of any supporting evidence for it.

Called what?

Right? Wah wah wah, hate hate hate. :rofl:

It was only a matter of time before these whiners started complaining about how much more Trump donates than they ever will in their lifetimes.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

He’s paying tax on 40% of his salary, even though he’s not getting it. So the government gets that tax, and a charity gets the total salary to spend usefully, as opposed to the government spending it wastefully. Why are you unhappy?

2 Likes