Trump buckles to domestic pressure, USMCA being re-negotated with a number of changes

parties from all three countries are on their way to finalize a number of major changes to the existing USMCA after pressure from Congress, with the stand-still finally being broken the bill might finally be sent to the House.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland is heading to Mexico City to signal Canada’s approval for more changes to the North American trade agreement.

The leaders of Canada, the United States and Mexico signed what was, at the time, portrayed as the final text of the agreement over a year ago, on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

But congressional Democrats in Washington were unwilling to proceed with ratification of the deal as originally signed, after the American labour movement and others criticized it as insufficient in several ways, including enforcing the new deal’s higher labour and environmental standards in Mexico.

Now the long wait for ratification in the U.S. appears to be over. After months of negotiations, The Associated Press reported Monday that congressional Democrats may be satisfied with the text of changes proposed by Donald Trump’s trade representative, Robert Lighthizer. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is meeting with senior Democrats Monday evening to study the changes but has not yet signed off on the new language.

Will have to see what’s in it, but if there’s not substantial changes there’s no way Trump is going to win Pennsylvania Michigan or Wisconsin. Last I saw the average wage, I think it’s $16, included management and executive pay so 95% of the jobs are going to stay in Mexico; that’s not going to cut it.

It finally got approval from the AFL-CIO which is major for Ds in Congress.

Like I said, I still have to see what’s in it.

How is this Trump buckling?

The deal was done and signed, but now needed to be changed and be resigned by all three parties.

1 Like

FAKE NEWS

Obese Donald only makes the “best deals”.

If he had a deal I am certain it was perfect!

This story can’t be true!

How is this Trump buckling?

It may have been signed but obviously it was not “done”.

I have to agree. Misleading.

3 Likes

So all three parties renegotiated.

This doesn’t mean the president buckled.

Apparently he buckled to the Democrats.

WASHINGTON — Mexico’s government said on Wednesday progress was being made toward revising a new North American trade pact that will sharply reduce protections for biologic drugs, in what will be a setback for U.S. pharmaceutical companies.

Mexico approved the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) this year, but U.S. ratification has been held up by Democratic lawmakers pressing the Trump administration for changes including steps on the drug protections.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/12/04/world/americas/04reuters-usa-trade-mexico.html?searchResultPosition=6

2 Likes

The House Democrats pushing for and getting concessions certainly would constitute “domestic pressure”.

Because the House didn’t like the deal, it was changed so it would pass the House it was likely already to pass by Canada / Mexico.

1 Like

Renegotiating to get a deal passed isn’t “buckling”. C’mon now.

2 Likes

The deal was finalized and signed, its only being renegotiated because the House told Trump they wouldn’t pass it.

Neither Mexico or Canada asked for the deal to be re-opened it was done by Trump.

1 Like

AKA the art of the deal.

Indeed. This is standard process for trade agreements.

Dems taking a victory lap now invoking Richard Trumka and “without the Democrat leadership this would have never happened”. And “the Trump administration sent us a flawed proposal “
As I understand there were changes made so the Dems would agree?
Somebody needed to get paid or sumpin’??

Besides, Trump only does the best buckling.