Trump asked Japan to buy 'huge amount' of US farm goods: report

Doesn’t Japan grow soybeans?

I’m going to come take $50 from you and then you’ll thank me if I give $5 back?

I’m going to beat the hell out of your neighbor if he shoots nuclear rockets at you, now how many soy beans you want?

1 Like

I was quoting smyrna and responding with a demonstration of why Trump taking 50 to give back 5 isn’t being returned with the genuflecting gratitude he imagines it deserves.

You’re seemingly demonstrating a way of extorting protection payments. Payments we can then pay the aggrieved farmers off with.

Apparently republicans are way past that whole “free-market” shtick they used go on about.

The Chinese market was not, is not and will not ever be free. Beatings come at a cost.

So because the Chinese market is not free we should extort Japan. Ok.

Beatings come at a cost.

Yet my 3 weeks in Vietnam cost less than my week in Japan.

Meanwhile, Trump’s trading in the free market to organize everything just A-OK. By the time he’s done we’ll wonder why we even bothered with capitalism.

I’m sure they do, but having spent about 4 years in and out of Japan there are a couple of issues. (1) population density and (2) available farmland. A lot of Japan is mountainous and unsuitable for farming.
.^^^^

And tofu.

Yea you can complain about a idiot trying to help people out when that idiot caused the problem in first place. STS :sunglasses:

Mother of all tweet storms!

People are complicating this whole China-farmers tariff issue.

There is a world market. China uses X-amount. Other countries use Y-amount. The suppliers to that market produce z-amount. X + Y = Z. If China used to buy all of its consumption from USA suppliers and changes to other world suppliers, then the y-amount the other countries buy will have to be bought from the USA suppliers, because that’s where the rest of Z comes from.

In fact, right now Argentina is buying from USA to supply China.

The only way USA farmers get hurt from all this is if overall consumption drops from X + Y down to x+y. (Lowercase.) And that becomes a worldwide supply issue, not a USA issue.

Actually…I hold the press to a very high standard and so did our Founding Fathers. There’s greatness when the press is neutral, uncompromised and not in the pocket of any political entity. They are theoretically…for “we the people”. That isn’t the case anymore. Now…they’re for the sheople and that’s baaaa, baaaa, baaaad IMO.

None.

Isn’t Japan like the size of California? How much Soy could they use?

X is a really big number and Y is a much smaller number. That’s the problem.

US ag income is down 18% this year.

Correct - trump likes to extort our allies.

Sorry - that’s not quote accurate - X = 1/3 of the entire worlds comsumption of soy.

So it’s not bigger than the rest of the world, but it is far and away the largest consumer.

about 3.3 million metric tons not that much pretty small, the second biggest market is the EU.