Top Trump Officials Clash Over Plan to Let Cars Pollute More

Then 175-200 HP would do just fine for your type of driving.

for about 10 miles, then time to plug it in for a day

Yes…that one. If the average mileage a manufacturer has to hit (CAFE) is 57 and they sell a truck that gets 23, then they must sell enough cars to average that or pay a huge gas guzzler tax to the government.

…and the damage done to the environment building that Tesla FAR exceeds the damage done to the environment than if you continued driving the LeSabre.

Your title is misleading. He is not planning to let cars pollute more but to pollute less. Just not to the
level Obama wanted to take it.

Looks like after a certain point of reaching a certain MPG, safety of the vehicle becomes an issue.

The Trump administration identifies as its “preferred option” one that would most dramatically weaken the rule: It would allow mileage standards to rise on the schedule laid out in the Obama rule until 2020, at which point the standard would freeze at roughly 35 miles per gallon. The proposal would also challenge the authority of California and other states to set their own, tougher standards.ump is not planning to allow cars to pollute more.

Along with Mr. Rosen, Ms. King, the deputy administrator of the Transportation Department’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, backs an analysis showing that the Trump proposal would save lives in car accidents. Her analysis shows that the Obama rules would lead to as many as 12,000 more traffic fatalities.

There should be vastly more public transit and less cars in general.

I agree.

Yup. Definitely over compensating.

1 Like

I agree but what you then need to do is set up bus lines and time them to get maximum benefit.

Which involves urban planners, then businesses and government working together and finally consumers using the service.

There are no bus lines here or anywhere else I have ever lived and I wouldn’t use them if there were.

I amend that. We lived in a place with bus lines briefly when i was a small child. As an adult I’ve never lived in a place with bus lines.

We used to have great bus service over in Vancouver, then someone from Portland took over C-Tran, nearly tripled the fares and cut a bunch of lines. Actual public owned transit vs. the public private hybrid that is Tri-Met over on the other side of the river who has automatic annual fare increases and keeps raising fares on top of that for various reasons, not to mention the millions of dollars they’ve wasted on their light rail. The trains themselves fine, but the art deco structures at the stations? What the hell?

Public transportation should be just that. A publicly owned commodity. I am for them also being run like a business with dividends being paid but the government should be the majority stakeholder with their dividends going back into reinvestment in the utility to either offset take hikes or upgrade the service.

Cars are becoming more green because consumers want their car to be more green.

They just have to get the fleet to average more.

The new F-150 diesel is cracking 34 mpg averages. It can be done.

Good luck getting Americans to pay the taxes needed to do this in a country this big.

Not as many as you would like to think. :smiley: