Tipping industry

3 Likes

No, it isn’t. Min wage is $7.25. Not wage+tips=$7.25

If you aren’t making at least min wage as a waiter something is terribly wrong.

For a lot of restaurants that wage increase would severely hurt them.

This is one of those things that there is no point in messing with, it’s just going to cause unnecessary problems for employers

I don’t want the concept of tipping go away. Given preexisting conditions and a family susceptibility to covid, I was mostly shut-in until I received the Moderna shots. It’s not just restaurants that are impacted - my Instacart shoppers bend Heaven and Earth for me just because I tip well above average compared to the rest of this area.

3 Likes

Why, “Kiss My Grits”!
Such a large sector, why no Unions?
Like everrrrr… Nowheres’…
Benevolence of strangers in exchange for labor?
Kindess of strangers?
How’d that turn out for Blanche?

1 Like

Can you request instacart shoppers? We haven’t used them yet, but am curious, do they know you before they start filling your order? I got the impression that they didn’t.

You can’t. I live in an area with roughly 140K, so I became pretty familiar with mine for the most part. I’d send positive responses whenever they had to make changes, and made sure all knew just how appreciated they were. Ultimately, they took the risk during the worst of the lockdowns so I didn’t have to - it was appalling to hear how mistreated they were by most people.

Agreed I have a somewhat close friend that had the wed-sun shift at a high end restaurant and before covid was shocked to find out he was making between 90-120k each year. They don’t all do it by any means but if you get the right shift in the right restaurant they are at the top of earners without their own business or college degree.

Hearing many stories of people mistreating restaurant staffers now because crowds are back big time and many places are short staffer or undertrained. A couple of places I know of have shut down temporarily to give their staff a break from the rudeness. What a shame.

1 Like

Wouldn’t they just raise the price of the food? The customers are supposed to be paying for the staff already in tips right? What does it matter to the customer if they pay 100+20% or 120+0?

Yes, I have been seeing it too. Not the customers fault. It’s the restaurant’s fault, well them and their snowflake staff. They won’t pay enough to fully staff, they overbook reservations and make people wait an hour to get seated and then another hour to get fed and then whine on social media, the customers are mean to me. Close up, you don’t belong in the business.

For starters 20% isn’t mandatory, especially for bad service. Do it your way and it will almost always be bad service.

…and you just made it clear how you tip. :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

Such a hard life in my early twenties when I started waiting and bartending, save half my tips for bills, do my best to drink the other half in bars, but I rose to the occasion. I had no idea I was oppressed.

You used to be able to buy a house on a waiters salary.

If possible, I avoid going to restaurants where i have to pay tip. Having 3 kids, tips can be costly. But when I have to tip, I will leave 15-20%. I was a waiter before so I know importance of tipping.

1 Like

:rofl: When?

Why does it have to be one or the other? I don’t believe any employer should be allowed to bypass minimum wage if tips cover it. Tips should have nothing to do with what your employer pays you.

2 Likes

I agree. But, if we do that, they need to pay their taxes.

1 Like