This One Needs To Hurry Up and Get Gone

On the individual execution.

Justice has been served at last:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/brandon-bernard-and-alfred-bourgeois-2-black-men-have-been-executed-within-two-days/ar-BB1bRHt8?fbclid=IwAR1ZPk-u8soRubB8X6VyyVTTSVW7Vs8XDIbepGQL1-FhP0jw8ITFGSKQ4mY

Nah, on whether or nor rights can be voted.

Nah, I was talking about a referendum on each individual execution.

I do love how CNN wrote up the headline, as if the men were executed for being black :unamused:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/brandon-bernard-and-alfred-bourgeois-2-black-men-have-been-executed-within-two-days/ar-BB1bRHt8?fbclid=IwAR1ZPk-u8soRubB8X6VyyVTTSVW7Vs8XDIbepGQL1-FhP0jw8ITFGSKQ4mY

I didn’t realize executions had racial quotas. Or that crimes like sodomy & battery that led to the death of someone who couldn’t fight back weren’t considered.

CNN is in disarray.

When it comes to INALIENABLE rights, government doesn’t grant them. Government can only protect them. In fact about all government can do is pledge not to violate them. (Individuals can violate them too, and government cannot really stop individuals from violating other individuals’ inalienable rights. It can only punish the violators after the fact.) So the Bill of Rights is essentially about the government pledging not to violate individuals’ inalienable rights, for example.

1 Like

That’s part of the problem with the argument that life-in-prison is more horrific than the death penalty. There is always some lawyer or group out there who is ready to take up the “cruel and unusual” mantle.

1 Like

Inalienable rights are inalienable. Even if a government allows institutional slavery (as ours did antebellum), those slaves had the right to freedom. The powerful entities in this nation violated the inalienable rights of those who were enslaved.

Solitary (long term) confinement qualifies. I am not against the death penalty if the case is proven. With a fair number of exonerations though, I am not too sure about it from that angle.

What fair number? What number would be acceptable?

Zero… We cannot execute one single innocent person and have that be acceptable.

Then you are against it.

Many cases are proven.

Well that’s the thing.

When some guy got convicted of capital murder and got the death penalty 20 years ago, his case was proven, else he wouldn’t have been convicted. On that day, his case was proven. Maybe now, 20 years later, someone comes up with evidence that reverses the conviction. Suddenly his case is NOT proven. Had his execution happened in year 19, he would have gone to his death for a proven murder.

1 Like

They are all proven. It’s the only way to be sentenced to death.

Replying to both posts, if they were proven they would not be getting exonerated. There is often a dire lack of evidence showing they never should have been convicted in the first place. Sometimes it’s purely circumstantial, sometimes malfeasance in prosecution, in a few cases they were out and out railroaded.

It’s all related to the policing problems in the other thread. Prosecution and a guilty verdict is more important than justice. Perhaps I am against it until that can be remedied, but certainly not in principle.

I am a firm believer in inalienable rights. But without an underlying belief in God the Constitution will not stand as the standard for rights because then it’s just paper written on by men. What men do other men can and will undo, as we are seeing Libs doing…

1 Like

Absolutely agree.

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (John Adams)

Thanks! I’ve been trying to remember that quote and who said it. We are seeing the truth of that coming to pass.

1 Like