This is why I hate the Police

It also helps when cops are not given endorsed supplemental training by a downright insane nutcase who trains a warrior mindset into them after religious zealotry is fed to them.

The dirty harry mindset is strong in that one.

In a city like Orlando you would almost never see a child the age of 6 in a juvenile detention center. It would be unheard of. This six year old would be exposed to older kids who are more hardened even gang bangersā€¦even MS 13 membersā€¦why would you want to expose a 6 year oldā€¦KINDERGARTEN student to all thatā€¦so you could teach him or her a lesson. Unbelievable.

The issue is the school for one. They are no longer allowed to touch the kids in anyway. A tantruming 6 year old can not be touched, cannot be restrained, cannot be put in a seclusion room. So the school teacher and administrators donā€™t/canā€™t do anything. So they call the school resource officer, who is a cop in most cases but is paid by the school system. So he in essence cannot touch the the child either. So after trying, and not calming the childā€¦ He feels overwhelmed to do something but cannotā€¦so he calls the actual police, who are at a loss and cuff the kid.

You donā€™t cuff a 6 year old kidā€¦but these crazy ass law suits that parents file because their kids teachers put their hand on a kids shoulder and led them to the officeā€¦with the who does that teacher think they are putting their hands on my babyā€¦

Schools and agencies like mine have taken a hands off approach to doing any kind of physical restraint, any kind of time out/ seclusion roomā€¦because how dare a school teacher or official put their hands on their child in an attempt to calm that child.

This is a systemic problem, and not one that should be blaming the child. The blame is squarely on the adults and the system itself in this situation.

3 Likes

From the article linked in the OP:

At one point, the officer asked administrators to call Kaiaā€™s family. ā€œAfter about 10 minutes [the principal] was able to calm Kaia down,ā€ the statement from the staff member read.

And that is where it should have ended in my opinion. No child that age should be put into handcuffs and put in the back of a cruiser.

4 Likes

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2019/09/can-you-get-arrested-in-elementary-school.html

While Florida law states police are allowed to arrest childrenā€¦two glaring things are involved. 1. The officer who cuffed Kaia did not read her her rights, and 2. She did not have it explained to her at least prior to putting her in the squad car that she did not have to speak with the police at all unless her parent/guardian was present.

I have a 1st part of my career where I worked in locked Juvenile treatment centers in mental health settings, not Juvenile settings. The only time I would call the police for an arrest is if a juvenile out of anger battered me with purpose. We worked with a lot of kids who were angry and emotionally unstable. We took a lot of physical abuse from kids 13 to 18 years of age. In my 11 years working in this field the only time I ever had kids arrested is if they assaulted myself or my staff in a calculated way. If they were out of control, freaked out by something or tantruming in some way, and we got hitā€¦we knew it was not purposeful. But if in the normal course of our job, a kid got up in my face, spit on me or hit me out of the blueā€¦then the police would be called.

How a grown adult actually files a police report wanting charges to be filed against a 6 year old girl is beyond me. I mean man up already if a 6 year old girl causes you to have her arrested, you might have more problems than her.

3 Likes

Her rights were violatedā€¦

1 Like

Absolutely!

No Miranda. NO explanation that she did not have to speak with the officer, and if I am correct, at least here in Indiana a childs parents must be contacted before they are arrested. What happened here is a joke of epic proportionsā€¦but this is what happens when the school is handcuffed by litigious parents who donā€™t like it when their child has hands put on them to help calm them down.

Hell teachers canā€™t even break up fights anymore. They canā€™t put their hands on the kids to separate them anymore. My son is a highschool teacher and the only thing he can do is put his body in between two kids fighting with his hands at his sides and hope he doesnā€™t get decked.

2 Likes

Assultedā€¦ by a 6 year old. My kid is 8 and the way he goes after me he should be in a supermaxā€¦

You cant handle a 6 year old you are worthless( general you)

1 Like

.little criminalsā€¦toddlers are real dicks.

Now try that with a kid who is autisticā€¦
Itā€™s hard not to lose your temperā€¦I haveā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s high schoolā€¦a far cry from a 6 year old kid.

As has been explained in this thread, kids these days canā€™t be disciplined. No spanking, no touching of any kind.

What about your kids and grandkids?

When each of those was 6 years old or so, they never swatted you in a temper tantrum?

If they did, what was your response?

Did you call the police or did you handle it yourself?

1 Like

For a six year old?

Itā€™s a nuclear bomb.

4 Likes

When do you have to read Miranda to an arrestee?

" It doesnā€™t matter whether an interrogation occurs in a jail, at the scene of a crime, on a busy downtown street, or the middle of an open field: If a person is in custody (deprived of his or her freedom of action in any significant way), the police must read the Miranda rights if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial."

Quit watching cop shows on TV.

She was arrested for battering the assistant principal. She was then handcuffed and taken away from the school. If you think she wasnā€™t asked questions your crazy. There were no juvenile charges filed because they didnā€™t mirandize her, did not get shift commander permission and did not contact a parent( apparently, from the story).

Are you another one of those adult justice for a 6 year old so they learn a lesson kind of guy?

As a side note.

You cannot Mirandize a child that young. A child that young can neither understand his rights nor does he have the mental capacity or maturity to waive those rights.

As a rule, a child should not be questioned by the police at all, unless in the presence of a custodial parent or guardian or a guardian ad litem, with any of them able to stop the questioning entirely or able to stop the child from answering any particular question.

Any statements a small child volunteers outside the presence of a parent, guardian or guardian ad litem should be inadmissible in court, since small child is incapable of waiving his rights.

2 Likes

Why use physical force to discipline?

You donā€™t hit a dog, why hit a child?

Why should he quit watching cop shows on TV?

Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re asking me. I was asking those questions of Snow.

I want to know how he disciplines his kids, or grandkids, when they had a temper tantrum.

And I want to know what his reaction would have been if it had been his 6-year old kid or grandkid whoā€™d been hauled off to jail, in zipties, screaming.

1 Like

Seriously?!