This is what Americans see

You know don’t you…well you probably don’t.

but back in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s cons just like wanted to China and all commie countries just like us- cut throat capitalist.

And not that they are…we’re saying…’‘we really didn’t mean you could do it better’’ :rofl:

Also: the picture in the OP is not of Shanghai.

its not?where is it?

Is this one of those pictures we used to see in malls where one had to relax their eyes to see a hidden sailboat?

Wait… I just did it… I intentionally blurred my vision and out popped a picture of unbridled national debt, sacrificing grandchildren’s futures, and a total loss of credibility by the party who used to bemoan those things.

Thanks for the OP, OP!!!

Forgot the name (something non description like the something something regional area)–it’s one of those new cities that they just sort of built so that is’ premade for an anticipated population. They’ve gone pretty ■■■■■■■ with infrastructure, for better and for worse.

so government building for the sake of building with no worries about budgets or waste of taxpayer monies. well that makes the OP even better.

Are you thinking Guangzhou

There is a ton of basically empty cities and buildings in China, due to the fact that Capitalism is state controlled in China.

The government chooses who/what/where one can do business, period.

oh yeah i knew of those. i just find it perfect that Conan decides to use a picture of one of those for this thread

Wow - never thought I’d see a Republican holding praising what has happened to cities of a state - run economy while being critical of what happens to cities here in the good old USA.

Times have changed.

1 Like

Just got back from Tianjin and it was an experience to see the city bustling from not only manufacturing to finances to IT, something the US once was. And pollution was no worse than Los Angeles on a good day. I asked our counterparts in China what is making Tianjin so busy, his answer SEZ, less govt intrusions and less regulations than on mainland, companies aren’t taxed the 25% like the rest of the mainland. It was interesting place to visit and see, actually a learning lesson we here in the US should use.

Are you ready to earn what they earn?

Will you ever admit that the rise of the service and retail sectors in the US made our economy the envy of the world, and raised the standard of living for americans through the roof?

Believe me, I’m all for making the lives of millions of working americans better, but bringing back factories filled with low wage low skilled jobs is not the way to do it.

So you want state capitalism? China literally builds cities before there are any human beings in them.

1 Like

Coastal China becomes wealthy on a pretty regular historical schedule but four-fifths of the country always remains in dire sharecroppong poverty. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ In the past, there’s always been a civil war eventually when this happens.

1 Like

Except that 80% no longer lives in starvation poverty.

Except you’re talking bout Mao’s Great Leap Forward, one of the craziest blunders any major nation has ever made.

I mean, really, the peasants who grow the Rice’s can eat their rice now. That’s worthy of a golf clap I guess.

Oh Conan. Bless your heart.

I doubt most Americans see this, most don’t look beyond their own neighborhoods and wallets.

Without a doubt though, this is what the rest of the world sees when they look at the decay and collapse of our once great industrial cities.

I’m talking about no such thing. China today will not see the mass famines it had seen in the past, even before the communist took over.