The World Libs Are Demanding

Wait, so they renamed it to the name of the magazine who ran stories that included the same kinds of things Campbell is being criticized for? I mean, was Astounding some sort of bastion of progressive racial inclusion or what?

Isn’t that a bit racist? :thinking:

2 Likes

They renamed it to the original title of the magazine… since it is now called Analog.

The word “Astounding” doesn’t carry any racial or sexist bias that I know of… but a guy who wrote editorials defending slavery and segregation does.

Campbell wouldn’t publish a work by one of the great SF writers, Samuel Delany, because the main character was a black man.

So yeah… purging his regressive ideology from a science fiction award… a genre that when done correctly is incredibly introspective and forward looking at the same time… is progress.

1 Like

The focus has been removed from academics and innovation to group identification.

There is no way to consider this a good step forward. It is a step away from not thinking about the person, only the idea.

:bulb:

That happens when the majority is white people.:rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, so they named it after a magazine that was run and edited by him for decades that ran racist stories. Good call.

People are soooo oppressed these days that they’ve got time to fuss over stuff like this.

No wonder we’ve had a number of fake hate crimes … the narrative must continue!

The old stories still exist as does the old version of the magazine.

Analog, being a magazine that inherited the large influence that Campbell built has been wise to keep what was good about bringing the genre out of the pulp beginnings into a serious genre but ejecting as much of the baggage as possible.

No Sci fi authors have complained about this and previous winners of the award are happy with this change and find it to be right and good.

I know that this is getting into some nerdy and frankly diminutive issues, but in the past few years the Hugo and Campbell awards around the time of Gamer Gate was under pressure from a right wing anti diversity group that called themselves “sad puppies”. Because of how the awards are organized, they were able to game the system to stuff the ballot box. This resulted in no awards given in a lot of categories in 2015.

So this change is just a small part of the ongoing culture war where the shift from the standard is moving towards a more broad appeal.

The world Cons don’t want to let go

Twisted world they live in…

I said it can be a bummer. Does that hurt your feelings?

No, strangers can’t hurt my feelings. It wasn’t about my feelings. It was about your broad brushing people based on their skin pigmentation.

2 Likes

I didn’t see that as all white people, just mid to old white dudes. And the way that white men all over this country keep crying about being picked on, I think he nailed it.

This thread is a good example.

Got it, so it’s ok to disparage people based on race as long as you limit that disparagement to certain age groups. Like you know, some black people are ok, but those young black guys, all gang bangers. Am I doing it right?

1 Like

They should hang some pictures of dictators up there, like Trump in the WH.

You are trying to act like the poster came in out of nowhere and broad brushed all white people. I would support you if I saw him doing that. That would be wrong.

But the OP started a thread about a very specific demographic and I’d wager that every one of you coming in here piling on with the crying fit that demographic.

So I don’t see it as broad brushing, but addressing the issue. He could add the word “some” if it would make you FEEL better, but in this instance it was spot on. White dudes in this country are having a hard time letting go of the idea that they are superior to others. And that the reason so many of them are in positions of power is this countries racist past.

Now carry on with the ridiculous comparisons if you like, I have to go.

Rage on fellas!

What has Trump done to impose his authoritarianism on you?

1 Like

All I see here is another progressive that thinks racism is ok as long as it’s directed at white people.

3 Likes

The salad in the car trunk has umbrella tendonitis.

1 Like

All I see here is another poster who misses the term racism.