The Velvet Divorce and the fall of the republic

One of two things.

We drop them off at their border.

Or they are declared statelesss.

And we drop them in one of happy prog European countries that takes stateless people.

1 Like

A large group of stateless people will certainly not exacerbate the humanitarian crises.

Especially with the United States splitting up.

Not our problem.

We are not at fault for the current humanitarian crisis. Not our fault that these countries ■■■■■■■ suck.

3 Likes

Well… we did prop up brutal dictators that led to the political disruption that led to the current state of affairs in Central America.

There is also the question of basic human worth. Are these people not worth anything making them disposable as a group of stateless people in a rolling humanitarian crises while the US splits apart… making everything worse?

1 Like

Which is the reason why you don’t invite into the country in the first place.

3 Likes

Or send them to NYC.

6 Likes

The exact opposite of what is needed. That just begs more to come.

2 Likes

Once again, not our problem. It’s what the strong advanced nations do to the weak. Look at Colombia. They underwent the same problem back in the day, including one of the most brutal civil wars of the 20th century, and today they’re one of few LATAM countries that isn’t a ■■■■ show. They all could have done it. Stop excusing their failures.

They aren’t Americans. Thus they are lower on my totem pole of who to help.

1 Like

Well, then tell Republican pols and RW entertainers/talkers to stop screaming the border is open.

As it isn’t.

Technically, they are Americans.

I am also patriotic, but I am not so Nationalistic as to think that someone has more worth through accident of birth.

I don’t know man… I just hate to think that I would look back on the short time that we all have in this life and think that I used it to advocate to make desperate people’s lives worse.

I fully expect the dehumanizing of them to continue and I think that before the end of the decade it will be par for the course to have US forces gunning people down trying to cross the border.

1 Like

They’re not the kind of Americans I’m talking about.

They are fellow New Worlders. So in that case I care more for them then I do Europeans or Syrians. But they are not from the United States of America.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep if they did. After a warning of course.

They know better than to try it at this point.

1 Like

This is what makes me sad.

This issue has become so contested and unsolvable that someone who I feel is a pretty reasonable person has become reactionary on this to the point where the government murdering poor people trying to cross an imaginary line is on the table.

It ain’t great.

I’m a strong believer in the number one job of the state is to secure its borders. If violence must be used to ensure that, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Of course they must be given a vocal warning first. Then a warning shot. If they decide to ignore those two warnings, what happens to them is on them. It’s that simple.

I’m getting the feeling that you believe they are owed some sort of reparations for what happened to LATAM? Am i wrong for thinking that? If that’s the case, the Spanish should pay. They’re the ones who stole all of their silver and gold and created the Hacienda system that ■■■■■■ that place before it ever had a chance to get started.

1 Like

You know that would even fade away.

No. I don’t think that they are owed reparations.

I think that they are owed basic human decency.

So we just keep taking them in without any sort of organization or long term plan?

Considering countries like Venezuela, Panama, and Belize, every single person from those ■■■■ holes would come here if they could. We literally cannot afford that at all.

Unless we decide to just print money until the heat death of the universe. We’ve got enough issues that need fixing here. We can’t save the world.

1 Like

This is where hard core leftist lose me. A nation’s border isn’t an imaginary line!!

Not at all. But right now there isn’t a plan past using catapults and that isn’t going to work.

There hasn’t been any sort of major border control legislation since like the 90’s. We need to sit down and hash out how to alleviate the pressure at the border, try to reduce the cruelty and restore order. This doesn’t happen without allocating resources to the processing of all of the claims.

That though is hard… saying that States should secede from the Union is easy.

It literally is an imaginary line.

Did that line exist before people?

1 Like