The Velvet Divorce and the fall of the republic

On November 1992, the federal legislature voted to divide Czechoslovakia. Having drafted separate constitutions, the two new countries, Slovakia and the Czech Republic (later Czechia), formally came into being on January 1, 1993. They were divided mostly along the already established internal borders of the former federal republic. Like the Velvet Revolution of 1989, the partition was entirely without bloodshed and so was dubbed the Velvet Divorce.

I think this an appropriate conversation to be discussing with the hyper-politics and division which has been going on this past decade as the thermometer keeps rising as each side try’s to cram their ideology down the other sides throat even though the country is close to evenly divided. I’ don’t think it will materialize with the current show down in Texas but it might, if one looks back into history war has broke out over lesser things. And when you have two groups armed to the teeth opposing each other it could go wrong.

It would be interesting seeing what others think of a peaceful divorce, Czechoslovakia shown it can be done peacefully and to this day are still trading partners, share language, travel and have friendly relations. i would like to see a one time move set in place and then the country dissolved into two regions that would be no more hostile to each other than the U.S. is to Canada. The two new countries would both be in the top 10 in terms of GDP.

In a perfect world we would all get along as they did in the past, it seems unfortunately the inevitable is going to happen sooner or later when polls show half the country hates each other. How would you see a peaceful dissolving of the republic, the new.map, what would they do about the debt I assume the same currency would be used like they do in the EU.

It can be done peacefully and if it has to be done I would rather it be the velvet divorce model rather than the former Yugoslavia. I am not calling for it but many people are talking about it and predicting it, sad but this is were we are.
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 9.42.26 PM

3 Likes

What are the issues that are worth destroying the Republic?

If the US flies apart it weakens the State on the international level … so what are the issues that are worth that?

2 Likes

Apples and oranges. Czech and Slovak were two highly dissimilar partners, yet were internally homogeneous.

The United States and most States are heterogenous, even if one party dominates.

Even if the United States split regionally, each region would have conflict.

1 Like

Texas claims to have the right to secede at will.

I say we let 'em.

1 Like

It’s gonna be a dust bowl in 20 years anyways. They can have it. :grin:

Imagine all the things they could get up to, though.

For example: nuclear powered desalination plants.

Probably work as well as their electric grid.

2 Likes

We would dump the windmills, go back to coal, which we mine in state and our grid would be fine. It only went to ■■■■ when Green stupidity was introduced.

8 Likes

Losing Texas would be a major slam to the U.S. economy it’s the number 10 economy in the world. It’s not like losing Alabama or Rhode Island.

That’s a separate topic if the thread goes into that territory that’s ok I am more interested in what it would look like and if it could be done peacefully. I didn’t pull this question out of thin air, polls show voters are worried about it.

1 Like

Good point, still though we share a common language which is more than a lot of EU countries do. One could say a split U.S would still have more in common than countries like Norway and Italy do and they have managed to keep it together within the EU.

That’s okay

What a stupid lazy premise.

We are a Republic of states.

The only thing that needs done is to return power to states.

8 Likes

If we continue with an open border that will no longer be the case. There will be two main languages along with pockets of dozens of other languages.

2 Likes

It could be argued CA is already a dual language state like Canada with French and English.

1 Like

Me too. But that is a pipe dream. There was an agreement that Texas could split into up to six states, not that it could secede. If there had been, that card would have been pulled in 1861.
Of course Haley said Texas could secede if they wanted to, but after a hail of responses she backed off from that.
Me, I’d rather California secede.
Colorado could go with them, but they have to leave the Rockys.

4 Likes

There are a lot of people in Texas who don’t speak English and even more who use English as their second language. More now than a coulple of decades ago.
Even more who use English as the second language.
I have no problem with the latter.
However, a constant flood of incomers is a problem. I believe our governor is trying to let other states find out why.

4 Likes

Was that necessary or accurate. It is not a “stupid lazy premise.”

It’s an interesting premise. No need to be rude and condescending.

2 Likes

The republic is already destroyed. Probably always was.

1 Like

The geography of it is a dilemma in my mind.

1 Like