The US the Greatest Country on Earth?

In the US about 14% of our population are immigrants.

1/4 M a month. Illegals.

Their policies are so welcoming there isn’t a need, worker visas are easy to obtain because they have lower birth rates and a huge need for labor. There are roughly 1 million undocumented people in Germany out of a population of 90 million people, so roughly a quarter of our population. That would infer an undocumented population of 4 million for the US if all things were equal, when it fact we have roughly 40 million people who are undocumented, ten times the rate.

Then stop trying to compare them.

Samm asked me what country I thought did it better, and I not only said which, I also said with some detail why, as he requested. Whether or not you agree is moot, this is my opinion and it is based on some solid evidence. Your results and opinions may vary.

Germany is very similar to the US in sentiment and approach to things, they are a modern capitalist society, hard working and civic minded. They are Conservative by nature and very family oriented. To me, they are a model for what we should aspire to, while still keeping our identity and values, because we share a lot of them.

Germany has a robust economy. They are part of the backbone of the EU. And it’s true; they will work until they drop.

1 Like

Fair enough. I completely disagree and will leave you with this: that grass on the other side? It just looks greener.

2 Likes

Understood, to me, Germany is a good example because we both have had pretty bad histories. Here, we try to whitewash it while protecting statues of people who fought to preserve slavery and destroy the union. We try and limit the teaching of our history by labeling it as “CRT”, taking books from Black authors and historians off the shelves, like Toni Morrison.

Germany has a recent terrible history, with their involvement in WWII (I know I can’t say their political movement’s name). But you don’t see statues of their political or military leaders from then anywhere. Any promotion of that ideology is forbidden, and their approach now is to erase that era from their public identity and embrace hard work and multiculturalism. There is a lot we can learn from that, you don’t have to deny what happened and you can move on.

The issue with the way Germany handles Nazism is that their constitutional right to freedom of speech doesn’t match ours. The Basic Law states that there is freedom of speech, but in another article it expands on the details by forbidding political speech that glorifies either the Nazi regime or other movements considered to be a threat to human rights.

That interpretation isn’t really compatible with the first amendment in the United States. As long your speech isn’t directing political violence as it occurs, you’re free to speak out freely on any subject for any cause. After all, we have both Nazi groups and communist organizations in the United States.

Neo-Confederates can march freely here. Neo-Nazis cannot march freely in Germany. The US Constitution and the German Basic Law are completely different documents with two different ideas on what constitutes free speech.

Mainly because both documents are framed from two different sources. The constitution is based on political, social, and economic liberty. The Basic Law is at its core focused on the protection of human rights.

Yes you did. Quote:

That’s a very fine speech about how great you think Germany is for Germans, but it does not spell out why you think Germany deserves the accolade of “greatness” among all other countries. What have they done lately on the world stage to move them above and beyond where the US was or even still is in terms of greatness on the historic global scale?

Actually, I didn’t ask you that. I asked what county was greater. There is a significant difference.

You keep talking about “the world stage.” Who gives a ■■■■ about the world stage. What is this, theater? I’ll settle for the best place to live. That’s my kind of great.

2 Likes

Nope…

Scroll up and see “Call Me Ish” whole post (that I did not quote)

We were doing that… not judging by color… But just like Jussie Smollett… the Democrat party found that it needed to get more attention by finding racism where there was hardly any at all. So the democrats spat upon the part of this man’s dream for his four little children.

Read the thread title. What does “Greatest country on Earth” mean other than on the world stage?

That does not let you off the hook. You brought him up completely out of context to the part of the post that you responded to.

Nice goalpost shifting. You were replying to a post of mine where I detailed parts of the US that wasn’t the greatest, and I included Medicine, Education, Polarization and other details of everyday American life. You asked me who did it better and I point by point used the SAME categories and showed how I think Germany did it better, and even showed how alike our two cultures are and how we could emulate what they do.

I briefly mentioned our military, but American greatness cannot be defined solely by its military might. Germany told over most of Europe just 70 years ago, but that isn’t great, that is terrible and they have completely disavowed that era.

A post was split to a new topic: A Serious Question For Progressives About Taking

If a goalpost was shifted, it was you who did it. My question was clearly about what you thought was the greatest country on Earth (which is the thread topic) not about which is better.

For your reference:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/district-reports-crush-media-fears-gop-gerrymandering

1 Like