A Serious Question For Progressives About Taking

I have a serious question for the progressives: Why do you feel you have the right to take from me to improve somebody else’s life?

Where does this come from?

7 Likes

Take what?

1 Like

Take college debt “forgiveness”. To whom is it owed and who is forgiving it?

I don’t have any college debt.

Or these childcare payments.

It’s not “government money”, the government prints money, it doesn’t earn it.

I don’t have a problem with tax credits. I don’t really have a problem with real infrastructure. But what gives you the right to take from me and give it to someone else to make their life better?

What is the foundation of this concept?

4 Likes

Through the consent of the governed.

At some point people decided it was ok to take in the form of taxes to pay for public good/works, such as schools, firemen, roads, etc.

Same thing with modern progressive ideas like school debt. They make their case, and then the people vote.

1 Like

No, not government. Morally.

1 Like

Some I can get behind in health then there are others like paying for school in the form of property tax that actually do not get voted on fairly. There were many cities during the pandemic that jacked up property taxes from 10%-34% and they did it themselves. There was no vote no ballot asking if the public approved of such a tax increase. And what a wonderful time to lay a hefty property tax on it’s inhabitants during a pandemic laying off millions is when they made their move to protect their own.

The moral justification for taxes? I don’t know about a general progressive stance. But in my view, if you are going to live in a society, and take part in it’s benefits, than you should contribute.

1 Like

I doubt many will admit it, but it’s theft to absolve deadbeats of responsibility by making the producers pay more to cover for them.

5 Likes

That is a great defense on why taxes go to defense and infrastructure. Does not explain things like student loan forgiveness, endless welfare ect.

4 Likes

The moral justification for taking from me to improve someone else’s life.

Contribute? By paying someone else’s college debt? By paying for someone else’s child care?

How is that “society”?

4 Likes

That’s exactly my point. I don’t know if I’m expressing myself very well.

1 Like

That is how I understood it. I doubt libs do.

3 Likes

When has any amendment to the federal constitution been voted on to give lawful consent for such tasks?

1 Like

If you build a road, ok. That benefits society, the collective. Any member of society can use it.

If I pay your college debt, that benefits you and only you, not “society”, not the collective.

And don’t give me any BS about “better educated society”, you could graduate tomorrow and go to prison.

I increased your earning potential; just yours. Why should I consent to that?

4 Likes

No we don’t.

1 Like

Most of the time it’s not taking from you to help/improve someone else life…but to help themselves.

4 Likes

Majority rules?

Benny for the win (again):

"The Remissness of our People in Paying Taxes is highly blameable; the Unwillingness to pay them is still more so. I see, in some Resolutions of Town Meetings, a Remonstrance against giving Congress a Power to take, as they call it, the People’s Money out of their Pockets, tho’ only to pay the Interest and Principal of Debts duly contracted. They seem to mistake the Point. Money, justly due from the People, is their Creditors’ Money, and no longer the Money of the People, who, if they withold it, should be compell’d to pay by some Law.

All Property, indeed, except the Savage’s temporary Cabin, his Bow, his Matchcoat, and other little Acquisitions, absolutely necessary for his Subsistence, seems to me to be the Creature of public Convention. Hence the Public has the Right of Regulating Descents, and all other Conveyances of Property, and even of limiting the Quantity and the Uses of it. All the Property that is necessary to a Man, for the Conservation of the Individual and the Propagation of the Species, is his natural Right, which none can justly deprive him of: But all Property superfluous to such purposes is the Property of the Publick, who, by their Laws, have created it, and who may therefore by other Laws dispose of it, whenever the Welfare of the Publick shall demand such Disposition. He that does not like civil Society on these Terms, let him retire and live among Savages. He can have no right to the benefits of Society, who will not pay his Club towards the Support of it."

2 Likes

Where does college degree fall into that? It doesn’t.

Are they? Maybe for Doctors and engineers etc. But most cases IMO night school or learn on the job.

Sure as hell don’t make any of em smarter.

3 Likes