The Twitter Files

I have no idea what you are referencing. I am sorry.

I donā€™t know if defended is the right term.

Not enough information is the issue. Nothing (yet) on the actual actions taken based on FBI requests.

What do you mean by message? So far, there is nothing showing that someone was suspended or deamplified based on being a conservative or lib.

It might come, but so far nothing but showing that moderation decisions were messy and often involved a lot of escalations and group discussions.

This is an interesting point. If conservatives now believe that social media decisions can affect an electionā€¦ then they must also believe that is true from Russian disinfo during the election.

so the narrative shifts from ā€œall a conspiracyā€ to ā€œit didnt make a differenceā€ after the ā€œconspiracyā€ was shown to be true

7 Likes

This would be nice but understand you are not owed this level of transparency. There a lot of things companies canā€™t lie to its users about (like selling their personal information) but there is nothing requiring them to tell users about its moderation decisions or about private meeting that happen with other companies or government agencies.

Any Twitter or Facebook user signed up for a free service. To some extent they gave up some level of privacy to be a part of a free social network. Like I said earlier their may be some ethical concerns but legally they all may be above board (when it comes to moderation and government meetings)

Great question. I am still not sure if the illegally FBI controlled our speech (through Twitter). Maybe we will find out more

There is a big difference between adding in fake Russian tweets to a legitimate conversation and methodically blocking popular conservative spokesmen from the conversation. Apparently they couldnā€™t block Ivanā€™s tweets so they settled on Dan Bongino.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think you understood my post.

Letā€™s say we find out that Twitter was moderating everything to affect the outcome of the election in favor of Biden.

That may be proof that social media posts can affect elections. Something that was downplayed by conservatives when it came to Russia and its actions with social media in 2016.

Basically it would further highlight how pivotal social media is to your avg American consuming politics

Thatā€™s not what Russian bots did it. Stop. They drove conversation. For you to blame it on some lefty Twitter accounts created in Russia is an absolute joke but i guess par for the course.

This has nothing to do with what Twitter did via shadow banning. Which is also meant to drive content and conversation. Which is wrong

My point stands. Welcome to reality where social media affects how people act. Been know for a while. Which makes what Twitter did even worseā€¦.

didnt obama campaign take great credit for so effectively using socials ?

funny. mattered big then. in 2012. but not now huh?

6 Likes

ā€œyou caught us rigging the election by influencing socials but it wouldnt have changed the outcomeā€

lol. these peopleā€¦.

7 Likes

You still donā€™t understand my post.

Letā€™s make this simpleā€¦

Can posts social media affect elections? Yes or no?

This is the exact excuse that was made in 2016. Literally word for word. ā€œThese peopleā€. Indeed. You guys were laughing then too. At people who were saying it

The vindication is epic.

2 Likes

But ā€œyou guysā€ were not laughing at the influence of social media, were you? Nor was I or any others I know of. I was saying 1) what Russia did was on Russia, not Trump and 2) adding additional posts by Russia was not going to change the election. In fact, my claim was that people had the right to hear what Russia said as long as it was identified as from Russia (which it was not).
It there is a huge difference from adding fake posts and blocking legitimate conservative posters. These are different things.

2 Likes

Of course you were. You collective were laughing talking about it. Concentrating on 150k or whatever it was in social media ad buys. Making fun of how stupid the left was saying that could influence elections

They didnā€™t identify themselves form Russia. One famous account that was quoted here was from a fake veteran.

We are talking about different things i think. Not sure how or why.

i havenā€™t said anything about Trump btw. I was talking specifically about social media affecting peoples choices. Trump is only responsible for his own account.

1 Like

No word on Elon Musk telling folks to vote republican? Is that tipping the scales?

Yesā€¦making fun of what 150k can buy on social media. How much did Hillary spend on advertising, a billion? How much did Musk spend on Twitter? What percent of those amounts is 150k?
You are saying because we questioned the importance of a bucket of water, we were claiming that the ocean was not important.
By the way, much of that 150k was anti Trump propaganda.

2 Likes

Because the 150k was red herring. That completely ignored that It was the bots and fake accounts. Social media affects peoples choices. Ad buys had nothing to do with it but the ad buys were used as if they were the only form of influence.

He is not allowed a personal opinion? I have never seen so many progressives take so many attempts to ignore what they know was wrong.

3 Likes

You brought up the ad buys. Now, apparently you are trying to switch to whether social media can have an effect on elections. Letā€™s clear this up. Do you believe social media has an effect on elections?

2 Likes

Of course that has been my point from the first post in this thread ā€¦ā€¦

I brought up the ad buys because i was rehashing the posts of that time.