The trial. What witnesses would you call?

Completely accurate and relevant.

Throw all the tantrums you want, the house had a responsibility to make their case and failed to impeaching him solely for partisan reasons and one way or another it will be dismissed as such.

Without an actual crime being cited there was no possibility of removing Trump from office and everybody knows it.

By all means though continue with the 3 year tantrum.

1 Like

All I did was say liberals care because they want witnesses and impeached the president. But okay.

Yes- after a trial.

You said this:

“They are not obligated to actually conduct a trial if the charges don’t warrant consideration.”

It is wrong.

They do have to conduct a trial because a number of GOP senators are demanding it. But please don’t believe me, this is a fox article explaining it…

"The GOP leader, in remarks to reporters Tuesday, also shot down the notion – floated by the president but later amplified by Democrats – that the Senate could vote to dismiss the case. And he warned those calling for new testimony that Republicans could have the chance to call witnesses, too, as he set expectations for proceedings to start in the coming days and formally launch next week.

1 Like

You’ve said a whole lot more than that for the last three years.

1 Like

No, they do not. Gramnesty and Mcconnell get to dictate the rules.

If the rules are so written the case may be thrown out on the merits by the judge after consideration of a motion to do so.

Those are the same rules applied during the Clinton impeachment which Mitch and Gramnesty have both stated would be used here in this case.

In clinton’s case there were 11 actual cited felonies in the articles of impeachment so the judge refused to dismiss.

Sigh- no…

McConnell will not get his say (dismissal of the case) when formal votes occur and a handful of Republican Senators side with the Dems to allow for Dem witnesses and then side with the Republicans to allow Republican witnesses. This ain’t hard man…did you read the Fox article?

You need to get some new talking points.

The rules will allow for a summary motion to dismiss which isn’t ruled on by vote, it is ruled on by the Judge.

Under those rules the judge “May” dismiss the case on the merits if he chooses to or he can punt and let the case go forward so as to not appear to be acting politically which is laughable since this is an entirely political impeachment and has been from the start.

1 Like

What- are you suggesting that Roberts will dismiss the case? Thats preposterous.

Again man- its in bold…

" The GOP leader, in remarks to reporters Tuesday, also shot down the notion – floated by the president but later amplified by Democrats – that the Senate could vote to dismiss the case.

Here are the Senate rules for the Clinton impeachment. Don’t see where the Chief Justice is given the power to dismiss.

Also, there was a motion to dismiss. It was not ruled on by the Chief Justice as the final authority, it was put to a vote by the Senators and the vote was 56-44 to proceed.
.WW, PHS

2 Likes

It’s gonna be a trial…and it’s gonna be weird. Republican witnesses (Hunter, the WB, Biden, Schiff?) and Dem witnesses (Bolton, Mulvaney, Giilianni?) will make for great theater but very unpredictable outcomes.

Two separate issues, get some new material already.

The rules allowed for it.

Well that settles it. You said the rules allowed it and that the Chief Justice ruled on not dismissing, I posted the rules and noted that the motion to dismiss was actually voted on by the Senators and not ruled on solely by the Chief Justice.

I posted the actual rules and you posted a link to Lucianne.com.

I guess I got my ass beat.
.WW, PHS

6 Likes

I’d call/allow none.

The house is where the trial occurs. The senate is like the jury deliberating. You don’t call more witnesses into the jury’s chamber after the prosecution has rested its case.

1 Like

Perhaps this is clearer

Again a number of GOP senators are bucking the motion to dismiss and want a more fair trial with witnesses. There is no way McConnell can stop that and he has said as much.

That wasn’t the question the thread asked. I could care less what those senators want.

Roberts isn’t going to dismiss the case on the merits, because Constitutionally, he does not have that power.

Only the Senate has the power to judge the merits of the “high crimes and misdemeanors”.

1 Like

The trial occurs in the Senate. House is the Grand Jury.

The Constitution states in plain English that the “trial” takes place in the Senate, not the House.